• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Far West Soho Recommendations?

raji

I'm here, going to grab a quick lunch soon, nothing fancy or over $20, I think Chanto closed, nothing else is coming to popping into my mind, any suggestions?

I did have decent pizza at Giorgione (far West Spring Street) once. Nothing life-changing, but pretty good. It's owned by Giorgio Deluca of Dean & Deluca. Another good option would be to walk two blocks or so over to Thompson and have the lamb sandwich at Snack or any of several sandwiches at the place that used to be Melampo.

Other than that, you'll do a little better going either north or south a bit. For example, the place in Northern Tribeca that used to be Sosa Borella is now called Lomito or something like that, but it's one of the same owners and there's no reason to believe it isn't still a good place to get a very good sandwich, Argentinean style. Good luck.

Edited by LPShanet (log)

if you have a few extra minutes...you're better off walking up a couple blocks to Bedford....I think Moustache serves lunch.  Ditch Plains does.  etc.

Good thinking - but 9 blocks - bahhh - I'm on too tight of a schedule - Chanto was way up there anyway, so on that point, i f'ed up

I wish Ushi served lunch. I got japanese or asian stuck in my head but it could be anything -

or I'll follow lpshanet's reccs

I'm here, going to grab a quick lunch soon, nothing fancy or over $20, I think Chanto closed, nothing else is coming to popping into my mind, any suggestions?

Oysters at Aquagrill?

If I was in a hurry in that area, I'd just go to Grandaisy, grab a sandwich (bresaola) and piece of Roman pizza (preferably cauliflower).

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

OK, same situation, Centre and Broome (think epicenter, La Esquina)

I wish I named this thread "Raji's lunch", cuz this will be an everyday thing, and I haven't lived downtown in a while so I'm relatively clueless. Good to be a hipster doofus again!

Same parameters re: price (not too expensive)?

La Esquina at the taco counter, or the cafe around the corner if you want to have table service. Yum. Good sandwiches too, and salads. And horchata.

Chinatown - well, I'm sure you have places you love, but since you asked, for lunch I do: Thai Son (Vietnamese) or Big Wong (roast pork).

Balthazar (the little bakery part) has good salads but nowhere to sit.

There's a wichcraft in the Equinox on Prince between B'way and Crosby, with seating upstairs.

I'm going to keep thinking.

Yeah I'd be at La Esquina in a second but I got a Qdobo burrito waiting for me for dinner at work. Yeah, well, they're not bad at least. They don't make my stomach ache like chipotle.

I was thinking maybe hitting a super cheapo dim sum, but not sure where