• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ICEROCKS®

natasha1270

http://www.icerocks.com/icerocks.php

Anyone heard of these? I saw a few boxes on the shelf with the bottled waters at Balducci's a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant and the packaging was superb. I didn't buy them but just the thought that someone is out there marketing ready-to-freeze ice cubes was so amusing.

I believe they were priced somewhere around $6? for maybe 16 cubes!! That seems a pretty steep price to pay for a couple handfuls of ice but at least your ice will not be polluted by any off odors lurking within the confines of your freezer.

Rip-off or next big thing?

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I confess, the water in my house is so hard and sulfurous that I don't cook with it. I don't even boil stuff in it. I use reusable plastic ice cubes that I can toss in the dishwasher and then refreeze.

I guess if I can take my ice/water issues that far, that this isn't such a stretch. But I'm not proud of it.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I must admit that I have given up on "home-made" :hmmm: ice cubes. I don't use much ice, and if I make a tray, it tastes funny by the time I use it.

I have taken to buying ice in bags at the gas station. The plastic bag keeps it fresh.

But $6 for enough ice for a couple of drinks--I don't think so.

sparrowgrass

I was not sure when I opened that what I was going to see!

but ok my ice is now considered "low end" (from tap to ice machine into a dispenser in my fridge)... I betcha!? .. why try to make any point here at all ..there is none ..I am just awestruck ..yes the packaging ..the web page ..lots of money invested in marketing cubes of ice you can keep on your shelf until you are ready to freeze them ..or for two years whatever comes first? wow wow wow ...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Thanks for the comments. I was just so stunned to see such a thing. Also, I wanted to update this because I was at the store over the weekend, took a closer look and wanted to represent the correct pricing and contents of the package. The price is actually $9.99 and the box contains 4 "trays" of ice, each tray encapsulating approximately 12 cubes. I probably will not be buying this product but I can see how others might.

Thanks,

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Eh, don't misunderstand, I still think it's totally nuts, but I can see it if you were dripping with money.

:biggrin:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”