• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Quick notes

Florida Jim

1998 Guiseppe Mascarello, Barolo Monprivato:

Served a bit warm and recovered some when put in the fridge for 15 minutes; pale and slightly browning color; once it was cool, a lovely rose petal nose; elegant and flavorful in the mouth albeit slightly thin and resolved tannin. I think this had been somewhat cooked in transit but it was still a pleasant bottle – but not for $38.

1998 Hop Kiln, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve:

So much American oak smell as to mask any fruit aromas and the wood dried out the palate almost completely. Bad wine-making.

2005 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:

Think alpine stream; fragrant, fresh, crystalline, clear, pure; sensational wine for $13.

2005 Breton, Chinon Beaumont:

Ripe cabernet franc with a minty edge, good depth, fine grained tannins and superb length. Good now, maybe better later. $18.

2006 Edmunds St. John, Gamay Rosé Bone Jolly:

Its warm today – maybe 82 or so; the back yard has some shade but its fleeting as the sun heads westerly and gains a direct route to our table; the breeze is nice and sky has puffy clouds everywhere; we sit and we eat our

chips and salsa, humus and avocado and chat about what’s next for us; the dogs lay-out nearby, ever watchful; the wine is fresh and refreshing; the hour goes by and at its end, we feel better. Highly recommended.

And another bottle of the 2006 Qupé, Syrah Central Coast was every bit as good as the last one; sort of reminds me of really good Crozes and it still only costs $16 (supermarket wine my ass, Enzo).

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com