• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kimchi in Spa-a-ace!

flacoman

I dunno if this is wise..............

Ordinary kimchi is teeming with microbes, like lactic acid bacteria, which help fermentation. On Earth they are harmless, but scientists feared they could turn dangerous in space if cosmic rays and other radiation cause them to mutate.

Another problem was that kimchi has a short shelf life, especially when temperatures fluctuate rapidly, as they sometimes do in space.

“Imagine if a bag of kimchi starts fermenting and bubbling out of control and bursts all over the sensitive equipment of the spaceship,” Mr. Lee said.

I still have visions of a giant, eternal, cosmic ray mutated mass of kimchi taking over the space station, and from there invading earth!

Hmmm......that'd make one heck of a film script. After appropriate scenes of devastation, destruction, and fermentation, in the end humanity is saved by Yoonhi and the kids consuming it in a series of meals, culminating in the last little bit being chased down by Serena, who washes it off and has it with rice and seaweed.

I've gotta write this down!

I dunno if this is wise..............

Ordinary kimchi is teeming with microbes, like lactic acid bacteria, which help fermentation. On Earth they are harmless, but scientists feared they could turn dangerous in space if cosmic rays and other radiation cause them to mutate.

Another problem was that kimchi has a short shelf life, especially when temperatures fluctuate rapidly, as they sometimes do in space.

“Imagine if a bag of kimchi starts fermenting and bubbling out of control and bursts all over the sensitive equipment of the spaceship,” Mr. Lee said.

I still have visions of a giant, eternal, cosmic ray mutated mass of kimchi taking over the space station, and from there invading earth!

Hmmm......that'd make one heck of a film script. After appropriate scenes of devastation, destruction, and fermentation, in the end humanity is saved by Yoonhi and the kids consuming it in a series of meals, culminating in the last little bit being chased down by Serena, who washes it off and has it with rice and seaweed.

I've gotta write this down!

:raz:

Ed Wood would be proud !