• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opus One

ngatti

Lowell and I had a private tour of the Opus One winery. The place is gorgeous and the wine is treated like a baby. But we weren't impressed with the wine-- liked other Mondavi wines much more. I don't understand what the hype is about. Sorry to be brutally honest but it's just my opinion. However, I think that you are giving a very generous gift and enough people like the wine to keep the price where it is.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Giving wine as a gift is always difficult. Table wines are obviously not appropriate, no matter what the cost as their image is not suitable for purpose. So no matter how good the wine, a Chianti is still a Chianti.

Opus One, while not a personal favourite, is somewhat a cult California wine, so perfectly suitable to gift giving.

Personally, I like to give a good Sauternes or vintage Champagne if I am giving wine as a gift.

Thank you all for the input. I sent the bottle out this evening. Apology was accepted in spades and I feel better.

This doesn't mean that I have to reply in kind to everyone on eGullet that I may have offended, does it? :shock::unsure::huh::laugh:

Thanks

Nick

PS: SP, some suggestions on what I should buy for myself...please? :smile:

Thank you all for the input.  I sent the bottle out this evening.  Apology was accepted in spades and I feel better.

This doesn't mean that I have to reply in kind to everyone on eGullet that I may have offended, does it? :shock:  :unsure:  :huh:  :laugh:

Thanks

Nick

PS:  SP, some suggestions on what I should buy for myself...please? :smile:

I have a few cases of Opus that I'll probably leave to my children (used to work at RMW). Good to hear that the 1994 is drinking OK as that was the last vintage I received as a gift - also have 1982 and some other assorted vintages in beween.