• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sake No Hana

• 2 weeks later...

We went there last Friday for dinner. It was quiet though -- only four tables of 2 (including us) and one table of 4 by the time we left at 8:30pm.

Upscale dining room but I really have to complain about their toilet as it became our dinner’s main topic of conservation. Both of our neighbour tables were talking about it too. Basically, you had to take this “slowest lift on earth” two floors down. I waited for more than 3 min for the lift along with the “lift operator” as she apologised repeatedly. Then she had to hold the lift to wait for me while I was in the toilet so that I wouldn’t need to wait for the lift again.

I can imagine during busy time there would be a queue of people going up and another queue of people trying to go down. Anyway, a 2min toilet break turned to be more than 10min. Back to the dining room, our food had arrived but some of them already got cold. My dining companion, as well as our neighbour tables, thought I went home or something. Obviously, they fully understood the toilet issue after they visited it later themselves and it then became a topic of conversation among all of us! (Yes, 6 of us were talking about toilets while having dessert.)

Back to food, it’s just another Japanese restaurant but with a more extensive menu. The menu is separated into various sections (Salad, Sashmi, Steam, Grill, Fried, Braised, Sushi, Rice, Noodle) and they expect you to order at least one item from each section as most dishes are tiny. Our food bill (exc. drinks and gratuity) already came to £90 for two of us even though we did NOT order any expensive item (e.g. £55 Wagyu rice for two, nor £70 white truffle Udon… Alan Yau must be quite confident after his success in Hakkasan and Yauatcha in order to charge this menu price.) In particular, the Chilean seabass and the pork rib pot were superb. Shiso soufflé with soya ice cream was brilliant!

Fine Dining Explorer

www.finediningexplorer.com