• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MPW sells up

So, after opening his new digs in Chelsea, Marco has sold the Mirabelle, Quo Vadis and Drones to Stephen Schaffer and Joseph Ettedgui. And I always thought that the Mirabelle was his baby! Anyone know his reasons for selling - is it cash problems or just to re-invest elsewhere?

Also on the newsflow, Gordon ramsay has appointed a 26 year old female chef as head chef at RHR. Apparently he is refusing to give more details about her other than her ange and the fact that her name is Clare. All very interesting!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

• 1 month later...

It looks like Marco needed the money to open his new restaurant, a joint venture with Roman Abramovich, located within the Chelsea Football Club Complex at Stamford Bridge.

I very much like the following statement from the new website -

http://www.marcorestaurant.co.uk/

"The décor is reflective of an increasingly discerning football fan base reflecting stylish elegance amongst the chaos of roaring footy fans."

stylish elegance

I think that "stylish elegance" sums it up perfectly - if the food is only half as impressive, I think that we'll see those three stars recaptured in an instant.

I'm surprised that there haven't been more reviews on here, but then perhaps the discerning clientele are keeping it as their little secret. I can't say that I blame them: something as special as this deserves to be reserved for the truly discriminating.

Edited by algy (log)

Gordon ramsay has appointed a 26 year old female chef as head chef at RHR. Apparently he is refusing to give more details about her other than her ange and the fact that her name is Clare. All very interesting!

He's not very good at keeping secrets then. She's on the cover of yesterdays Observer Food Monthly. Clutching leeks and taming a pumpkin underfoot. Pretty scary stuff.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly...2226110,00.html

....must learn how to do that quote box thingy.....

Edited by martinwa (log)

It looks like Marco needed the money to open his new restaurant, a joint venture with Roman Abramovich, located within the Chelsea Football Club Complex at Stamford Bridge.

I very much like the following statement from the new website -

http://www.marcorestaurant.co.uk/

"The décor is reflective of an increasingly discerning football fan base reflecting stylish elegance amongst the chaos of roaring footy fans."

That opened up a while ago now, I think before he sold the other restaurants? I have eaten there gratis so I can't really comment from a regular punters point of view. It was good to see some classic Marco dishes though they do come across as a little old fashioned now but in a comforting way. Ragout of shellfish with herbs was as seen on Hells kitchen (I'm surprise d he didn't make more of this when he was on the show as the staff and dishes in HK pretty much transfered to the Stamford bridge operation), I would have preferred a little more depth to the sauce but that is just my preference Pigeon from Bresse with Foie Gras en Chou and pomme mousseline was good if overly large and incredibly rich due to the vast quantity of foie gras in both pieces. Koffmanns pigs trotter was as unctuous and rich as I remember and there was an outstanding lemon tart as well as a very good Souffle to finish (desserts courtesy of Roger Pizy)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"