• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

7 hours ago, GRiker said:

I'm afraid I don't have a solution, but have experienced a similar issue.  I have used a couple different milk chocolate 10-pound blocks from Guittard.  I put chunks in the melter at a higher temperature the night before I want to use them.  In the morning the block is completely melted except for little particles that don't want to melt.  I've used the same method as you of beating it into submission using my immersion blender - a pain.   This only happens with one type of the two blocks that I've used.  

Interestingly, these particles only appeared when melting the from the factory block.  After I blend it and melt it all out, putting the unused tempered chocolate away, I don't have the same issue again when I remelt.  

At first I thought it was because I wasn't heating the chocolate to a high enough temperature, but my thermometer told me that couldn't really be the case.  Since it only happens with new chocolate I suspect my culprit was type VI crystals.  

With your chocolate only sitting a short time before the remelt, it certainly can't be type VI crystals.

Wish I could help!

Indeed - little crystalline chunks sounds like form VI crystals - but would be weird for form VI to appear in chocolate under the conditions Jim is describing - but totally reasonable in the conditions you describe. 

I see it happen in 'older' cocoa butter a lot. 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

7 hours ago, GRiker said:

I'm afraid I don't have a solution, but have experienced a similar issue.  I have used a couple different milk chocolate 10-pound blocks from Guittard.  I put chunks in the melter at a higher temperature the night before I want to use them.  In the morning the block is completely melted except for little particles that don't want to melt.  I've used the same method as you of beating it into submission using my immersion blender - a pain.   This only happens with one type of the two blocks that I've used.  

Interestingly, these particles only appeared when melting the from the factory block.  After I blend it and melt it all out, putting the unused tempered chocolate away, I don't have the same issue again when I remelt.  

At first I thought it was because I wasn't heating the chocolate to a high enough temperature, but my thermometer told me that couldn't really be the case.  Since it only happens with new chocolate I suspect my culprit was type VI crystals.  

With your chocolate only sitting a short time before the remelt, it certainly can't be type VI crystals.

Wish I could help!

Indeed - little crystalline chunks sounds like form VI crystals - but would be weird for form VI to appear in chocolate under the conditions Jim is describing - but totally reasonable in the conditions you describe.