• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Petit Prince

cigalechanta

They had a special duck offering that could be shared by two or enjoyed as an entree and plat. The duck was prepared four ways, all quite traditional and excellent. Perhaps not a "destination" restaurant, but always reliable and affordable.

Perhaps not a "destination" restaurant, but always reliable and affordable.

Agreed. Back when I was a poor graduate student and first visiting Paris, it was a favorite when I had a few extra francs. In more recent years, it was always a reliable place to go when I'd overspent at the destination place but still wanted something better than the neighoborhood cafe.

They did a good job with the classics. I still remember the first time I tasted their chilled melon-porto soup during summer and a creamy soupe de potiron during the fall--both were new to me at the time, but have remained favorites.

I went there based on an eGullet recommendation several years ago. The food was okay (but no better than some other comparably priced places), but the main memory was the TERRIBLE service - the most obnoxious, rude (and strangely camp) waiter I've had the misfortune to suffer.

Actually, I have a feeling that the food must have been reasonable as otherwise we would have left before the mains otherwise... If so, the kitchen was being badly let down.

PS

Edinburgh