• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appleton 21

mac1105

I just got an offering from my supplier for Appleton 21. I have never tried it but I always see it mentioned on the forum. Any feedback? It seems a little expensive (retail about $70). I guess they are going to make it real scarce, I was told only about 400 6 packs this year came into the US.

Greetings,

I really like this rum and purchased it in Tulsa, Oklahoma for $36.99 USD. At that price I would not hesitate to buy it over and over again and drink it more regularly than I do. BUT, here in Montreal it goes for around $80 CDN (~$50 USD). Now that's getting just a little pricey. In my humble opinion you should always have one open in your collection ready to sip sparingly on those special occasions.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

$36.99 in TULSA? For Appleton 21? Shit man, its $50-$60 dollars a bottle BEST PRICE in Jamaica. Hell the 12 year old Extra (the one above the VX that Ed mentioned) almost goes for that much in most places.

Whats the name of that liquor store? Maybe I can get them to ship me a few.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason,

I know, its nuts. The Pampero Aniversario was an unbelievable $18.99 also. He only had one 21 YO on hand, and at that price I wanted to pick up a couple, so I enquired if he could order more ASAP as I was only in town for a few days. The next day he called and informed me that yes he could order more but the price had gone up by $10.00 to $46.00. It was still a good price, but not $36.99. So I quickly drove back to the store and bought the remaining bottle.

I really can't remember the name of the shop. I went to 3 of them during a short business trip last year. I will search for the name and let you know.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

GOT IT party.gif

I found the two important shops that had good stock/prices:

• Burton's Liquor Mart
    6533 E 71st St
    Tulsa, OK 74133
    918-492-4415
  • Fikes-Parkhill Liquor & Wines
    5111 S Lewis Ave
    Tulsa, OK 74105
    918-742-4187

If my memory servers me correctly, Burton's is the one that had the 21 YO for $36 and Fikes had the Aniversario at $18.99.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Dan

Sounds like they have some old stock and are clearing the shelves. I've found Appleton 21 year old for $10 a bottle in St Thomas. To this day I think the overpaid KMart employees didn't realize that it was the 21 year old instead of the VX, the bottles look the same to a Cruzan drinker.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.