• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Norfolk Coast

adt

Where would people recommend right now on or near the Norfolk coast? Either serious fine dining or something simpler in more dilapidated surroundings (but equally wonderful...)

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

Morston Hall has always been very good, everyone eats from the same, 5/6 course menu at 8.15. Really excellent wine list. Relaxed service. You have to book well in advance. I think it is about as close to serious fine dining as you are going to get. Competent, well sourced food, you may well eat something that was killed or pulled that afternoon.

I had two meals at the Hoste Arms in Burnham Market a year and a half ago. It is very popular and worth a visit just for the front bar of the pub. The food wasn't for me though well sourced.

The White Horse at Brancaster Staithe is excellent with great views. I would stay clear of the Victoira at Holkham - expensive and chaotic.

Make sure you go walking on Holkam Beach - and if the weather is anything like today, you might well need your bathers.

Edited by bakerestates (log)

adt- have a look at this previous thread.

I would pretty much echo what bakerstates writes- but would add that the chaos at the Victoria, was part of its charm. As crazy as it was- we were seated within ten minutes and without a booking. Granted this was a few years back.

We have had four visits to the coast this year and the White Horse is still doing well. To this I would add Titchwell Manor, were we spent a very pleasant weekend. Predominantly seafood, and though sometimes erring towards being over fussy the food was always good - I had some excellent oysters and lobster earlier in the year.

On the down side meals at Fishes in Burnham Market and the Lord Nelson, Burnham Market- were very poor this year and we are unlikely to return for a while.

Full list of websites links are included above.

Edited by Bapi (log)

• 3 weeks later...

My meal at Fishes earlier this year was quite expensive and disappointing. OK if you want to spend your Saturday night hugger mugger with the Kensington and Chelsea set and their kids down for the weekend in their holiday homes, chowing down on plateau des fruits de mer, drinking expensive Burgundy and shouting at each other. Front of house seemed over stretched and the food was good but nothing special. Can't say I'll be rushing back.