• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monmouth Racetrack

coughy

I'll be there as well. Every hotel has been booked since it was announced that Monmouth Park was getting the Breeders Cup, and you will probably find much of the same for restaurants. I'm a regular at the track, but I am not familiar with the area's finer establishments. The place will be a zoo so don't expect to get out of there quickly, so make your reservations accordingly vis a vis time.

I think I have heard good things (I think some of which I might have heard here) about Nicholas, and there are few others. There's another place I've heard a few good things about -- I think it's called the Melting Pot -- it's a fondue place. You could head north, say toward New Brunswick (maybe 45 minutes away) and there are several places -- The Frog And The Peach is one, and SoHo On George is another.

I'll check my horsemen's guide and with a few friends who live down there and I'll post a few if I find anything out.

Who do you like in the Spring? LOL. BTW, good luck!

Eric

Restaurant Nicholas is the best restaurant in the area. However, it is tough to get into. If you want to go there, I would get on the phone pronto to see if they have any openings. We were there in the last month and we thought it was better than ever. Great food, service and atmosphere.

If you can't get in, Red Bank is your next shot. It's about 10 minutes away. Dish, Sogno and Thyme Square all are very good. The latter two offer outdoor seating. Again, try to get reservations asap. They are New American, Italian and New American, respectively.

At Pier Village in Long Branch, 5 minutes from Monmouth Park, there is Avenue and Sirena. They are both on the water and if the weather is nice, you can eat outside on the ocean. We ate at both this summer and it feels like you are on a Carribean vacation instead of Long Branch.

Have fun!

Unless you only want upscale dining, you might consider Pearl of Lisbon on Broadway in Long Branch. I had dinner there a few weeks ago and the food and servce were very good. Nearby is also Cask 591 which I've read good things about but never been to.

Unless you only want upscale dining, you might consider Pearl of Lisbon on Broadway in Long Branch. I had dinner there a few weeks ago and the food and servce were very good. Nearby is also Cask 591 which I've read good things about but never been to.