• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

carnegie hall area

Bliss

I'd like to find something less expensive than Le Bernardin that's a more exciting to me than the standards (Trattoria del Arte, for example). My stepson, based in LA and definitely a foodie, will be coming in regularly because his new company is based in the area and I'd like to have dinner in the area somewhere with some excitement. Thoughts?

A search in this forum didn't bring anything up.

bliss

Well Carnegie Deli isn't exactly cheap.... just order the "Woody Allen", which is half a pastrami and half a corned beef. You can feed your family off of it through the winter.

Rather than give you 5 recommendations, I'll give you one that will be echoed by everyone here - The Modern. My meals there have definitely been exciting on a gourmet level. And 53rd between 5th and 6th can't really be much closer...

These are suggestions from when I posted a similar request a few months ago. I've excerpted them.

In the neighborhood of the hotel and Carnegie Hall is Yakitori Totto (do a search - there's a thread on it). The breakfasty pastries at Bouchon Bakery, also right in the neighborhood, are probably the best in the city - croissant and brioche variations, etc.
Jean-Georges .... it is close to Carnegie Hall and Piano Row (57th St.)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Esca isn't far away.  neither is Cafe Gray.  nor Maze for that matter.

second Bar Room at the Modern.

I third Nathan's second

Esca is a bit of a haul - 53rd and 6th to 43rd and 9th.... but if willing to go over there, I still think an excellent meal can be had at Marseilles - most notably for their extensive and exemplary wine list, most put together by a friend of mine from Westchester who went on to open Mas.

Edited by raji (log)

I'd like to find something less expensive than Le Bernardin that's a more exciting to me than the standards (Trattoria del Arte, for example). My stepson, based in LA and definitely a foodie, will be coming in regularly because his new company is based in the area and I'd like to have dinner in the area somewhere with some excitement. Thoughts?

A search in this forum didn't bring anything up.

bliss

What about Redeye grill on 7th ave and 56th. www.redeyegrill.com