• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"reclarifying" consomme?

WiscoNole

I've got some homework on consomme and one of my key terms is "reclarify".  I'm having some trouble finding a decent definition.  Any help would be appreciated.

Clarifying is the process of removing particulate matter (cloudiness) from a stock to make a clear consomme. It's outlined here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26540

No idea what "reclarify" would mean beyond maybe clarifying a second time, for instance if you made a mess of the raft on the first attempt?

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I seem to remember from school (about a million years ago) that one of the purposes of the raft and "clearmeat" is also to add more flavor to the consomme. We did a couple other enhancements to the flavor - using the consomme as the base for a whole nother stock, then clarifying that. Or, doing a second clarification of the consomme with fresh raft and clearmeat. And then the "infusion" where you pour the hot consomme through the herbs you wish to impart flavor with in a cheesecloth lined chinois. The gelatin trick would work fine if you have a very strong flavored stock that needs no extra flavor.

I would guess that the "reclarify" refered to in the question is the second clarification of the stock in order to add more flavor.