• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Livin' large

Florida Jim

Rice pasta with chick peas, broccoli and an artichoke pesto cream sauce:

2000 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Estate Reserve:

Showing aromas of oak, stems, red fruit and spice; the same on the palate with some complexity and depth, good balance and a long finish. By itself, not something I want much of but it did well with the food. 14.3% alcohol and about $44 on release; I won’t buy it again.

Chosen on a whim. ‘Was good accompaniment as it lost most of its oak/stem signature and the fruit showed through but it did not overwhelm the flavors of the dish.

Grilled chicken breasts, grilled corn on the cob, a big salad and crusty bread:

2005 Dom. Vissoux, Fleurie Poncie:

This wine gives rise to an emotional response in me; its is unreservedly delicious and filled with freshness and nuance; a delight to smell and taste and feel in the mouth; beautifully ripe fruit, a purity matched by very few bottles I have ever tried and so utterly sublime that I am lost for words. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Weygandt-Metzler and about $20; back up the truck.

Chosen because of Beaujolais’ affinity with chicken, this fell short. Of course the wine was wonderful, but it needed the punch of a whole roast chicken with veggies rather than just chicken breast. A good match but not a great one.

Still, the wine . . .

Smoked salmon spread and crackers:

2005 Denis Jamain, Reuilly Pinot Gris Rosé:

Light, clean and very slightly off-dry, this very pale rosé is refreshing and carries good cut and light flavors (mostly strawberry) with nice balance. A friendly little wine which, for me, is best a single glass at a time. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $15; I like other rosés better but this was very good with the dish.

Chosen because of comments about pinot gris being good with salmon and it was; this had the fruit to stand against the smoked fish flavors and enough cut to lighten the spread.

Pasta with a sauce of yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, white beans, chicken and pesto, topped with chopped tomato:

2005 Argiolas, Vermetino di Sardegna Costamolino:

Resin, citrus and mineral on the nose with a tang to the flavors and a bitter note on the finish. I liked it but Diane didn’t (a little too bitter for her). 13.5% alcohol, imported by Locascio and about $9.

Chosen because of the pungency of the pesto in the dish, this was a perfect match – even Diane agreed. The flavors meshed well and the bitter note cleaned the aftertaste while still maintaining the freshness of the dish. A superb match.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com