• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OceanCity NJ

dknyc1

We are going next week for 4 nights.

Anything new or recommended?

Lunch at Nags Head at 801 Asbury Ave for Crabs Cakes also (other food is very good as well). Also Hula Grill on the Boardwalk.

You have to go to Reddy's on 8th between Asbury and Central for a great "old fashion" breakfast.

These picks are where the locals eat - not fancy, but good:

For breakfast or a light lunch, the Beach House Grille at 910 Ocean Avenue is great. Weekends often feature special types of pancakes, such as Banana-Walnut.

For classic American food and large portions, there's the Chatterbox on 9th Street.

For Greek/Mediterranean food, have dinner at Katina's, on the corner of 9th Street and Central.

A new place named Dixie Picnic on 8th near the boredwalk.

I had their ribs

gallery_660_4846_483160.jpg

Good by Shore standards, Mediocre by Southern NJ standards. If you want good ribs go back in time a few years and visit the Kingfish on Route 40. Or lacking a time machine, Uncle Dewey's on Rt 40. Or any of those nameless places on the back roads where African American gentlemen set up half an oil drum and smoke the ribs all day.

DP ribs were tasty. They were too tender - the kind of tender you get from parboiling. I didn't smell smoke around the place nor did I see a stack of wood outside so just accept them on their own terms.

As a SNJ boy I don't "get" grilled corn. But since the corn was not NJ corn (yo, it's july so why not?) but rather that hogslop the rest of the country produces it was ok. Mushy like frozen corn on the cob but ok with the spice rub they offer.

The Caesar salad was OK. I tasted no abominations like mustard.

Mrs Rockhopper had the Cuban Pulled Pork Sandwich.

gallery_660_4846_1438577.jpg

It had a soft roll, avocado, grilled onions and tasted citrusy. It was very good.

Praline green salad. It had candied pecans and a balsamic-ish dressing. Also good.

Veggie of the day was asparagus. Also good. Could have used a few more spears.

The Iced Tea was brewed and came with free refills. It tasted a lot like Red Rose tea - which is actually my favorite, Luzianne notwithstanding. Thankfully it was not "sweet tea" they offer in Dixie where you can feel your teeth melt with every gulp.

Desert were their upsidedown cupcakes they call upcakes. Homemade icing was not too sweet as I feared. I had lemon, she had passion fruit. Very good.

They were gone before I got the camera out. sorry.

Nice atmosphere, a few wicker couches, a babbling brook in the middle etc.

We'll go back.

Not new but for a shore style hoagie try Voltaco's on West across from McNausea on 9th.

They use "White House" style rolls they bake themselves.

These photos are half of a small (we share)

gallery_660_4846_343059.jpg

The contents are good but not overflowing like DiPascale's in Pennsauken which has the best hoagies in the surrounding 100 miles. (donning asbestos suit)

gallery_660_4846_712415.jpg

The menu lists them as Subs and/or Hoagies. And/or ?

Edited by rockhopper (log)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto on Voltaco's. We have their # in our cell phone, and call when we get close to OC, then pick up our hoagies so we have them for lunch later on.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 3 weeks later...
Ditto on Voltaco's.  We have their # in our cell phone, and call when we get close to OC, then pick up our hoagies so we have them for lunch later on.

My ode to Voltaco's hoagies is at http://caseyellis.blogspot.com.

I'm home after two weeks in Ocean City and YEARNING for a hot Italian. That's a hoagie with hot peppers, you understand.