• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aperitivo Americano

eje

If anyone hears anything about availability in Texas, please post...

TCG -

Drinkupny.com typically carries Alpenz products and ships to TX (despite their website's pronouncement to the contrary). It's not on the website now but I would keep an eye out if you can't find it locally (I wouldn't be surprised if Spec's Smith Street gets it either).

Hi folks - its only a matter of weeks until the Cocchi Americano reaches the aforementioned markets. Feel free to send me a message or email on specifics.

If you pick up a bottle, I'd suggest first trying it on ice with a splash of soda, orange twist. This is the traditional service (as its not normally taken straight) and you'll get a quick sense of how it opens up in a drink. Its easy to polish off a bottle this way before bothering to make corpse revivers and vespers.

Drinkupny.com typically carries Alpenz products and ships to TX (despite their website's pronouncement to the contrary).

Thanks, bmdaniel. I admit that I'm a bit leary of running afoul of the TABC's rules against shipping liquor to Texas, but you're probably right that it would work out fine. I think I'll just keep up my vigil at Smith Street till it gets here. It sounds like from eas' post that it won't be much longer.

Jeff Fox

Aspiring Cocktailian

Drinkupny.com typically carries Alpenz products and ships to TX (despite their website's pronouncement to the contrary).

Thanks, bmdaniel. I admit that I'm a bit leary of running afoul of the TABC's rules against shipping liquor to Texas, but you're probably right that it would work out fine. I think I'll just keep up my vigil at Smith Street till it gets here. It sounds like from eas' post that it won't be much longer.

Just so you know, the worst thing that can happen to you is you don't get your stuff. Shipping is what is (stupidly, but I won't get into that here) banned--not ordering.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

It's here in RI. We are using it at Cook & Brown Public House in our Vesperasti:

1 1/2 oz Cocchi Americano

1 1/2 oz Bluecoat gin

scant dash lemon juice

scant dash Angostura

Stir; strain; coupe. We have some wild angelica that we're using as a garnish; a small lemon twist would also work. ("Scant dash" = ten drops, if you're obsessive.)

I'm so thrilled to have this to play with!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I cannot wait until this stuff comes in stock someplace near me. Any sightings yet in Northern California??

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

Mike, as it happens I was at Corti Bros. yesterday (Sunday) and specifically looked for it. Didn't find it, but also didn't ask -- which was probably stupid! Let me know if you find it there, because I would absolutely drive up for a couple of bottles.

Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

Mike, as it happens I was at Corti Bros. yesterday (Sunday) and specifically looked for it. Didn't find it, but also didn't ask -- which was probably stupid! Let me know if you find it there, because I would absolutely drive up for a couple of bottles.

Man, I could swear I've seen it there several times (and considered buying it myself). I'll make it a point to check in there next weekend and find out for sure.

(BTW, great store, isn't it?)

Corti Bros. is the definition of a great store. Literally "worth the drive from anywhere." Love that place!

Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

Darrell Corti of Corti Brothers was instrumental in helping us bring back the Cocchi Americano. The man and his store are extraordinary.

• 2 weeks later...

Woo hoo! KL Wines in Hollywood has it back in stock.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

Um...yeah, the Cocchi is absolutely brilliant. I love it any which way. Drinking a Vesper now (3 parts Beefeater, 1 part Stoli Blue Label, 1/2 part Cocchi, shaken, big lemon twist) and it's probably the best "Martini" I've ever had. CR#2 last night was a revelation. Wonderful on the rocks with a splash of soda and a lemon slice. Even my wife likes it. Can't wait to cook with it. Steamed mussels with leeks, tarragon and butter? Buy this stuff by the case!

Thank you, thank you to Eric (and apparently Darrell Corti!) for bringing this stuff back to us. I'll never be without it from now on.

Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my first bottle from Spec's on Smith Street last night, and made an absolutely awesome Corpse Reviver #2 with it! I laughed out loud when I got to the shelf at the store - someone had taped a note there reading "Egulleteers: your long wait is over!"

Jeff Fox

Aspiring Cocktailian

• 4 weeks later...

For the record, here's a portion of the Corti Brother Summer Newsletter:

Back After an Absence: Cocchi Americano Aperitif

For summer drinking–or anytime drinking for that matter–Cocchi Americano. Corti Brothers was the first to offer this Piemontese aperitif several years ago, and after some “discussions” with Washington, D.C., Cocchi Americano is back in the States. Art work on the label was the problem, now resolved.

Cocchi Americano has been produced in Asti, Italy, since 1891. The name “americano” does not mean what it looks like, but is a linguistic distortion of “amaricante” or bittering. This class of drink was very popular at the end of the 19th century and the Cocchi version is the only one that was a light color. Normally they were more or less brownish red.

Cocchi Americano is wonderful for the warm days of summer. Just pour it into a glass, add some ice cubes, a slice of fresh orange and a splash of soda water for a wonderfully refreshing drink that can be made as tall or short as you like.

When you don’t want a glass of wine, and stronger spirits are not appealing, Cocchi Americano with its slightly bitter and pungent flavor and its 16.5% alcohol diluted even further with water can prove to be exactly the right choice. In fact, you might forget about the other choices all together.

Cocchi Americano Aperitif 16.5% 750ml $22.99 (#2559) Case of 6 $ 124.00 (#2559C)

• 3 months later...

Got a new bottle just now. Any additional thoughts? In particular, if there are classic Kina Lillet drinks that work well with the Cocchi, please share.

Twentieth Century works great. We had a customer hounding us (and Eric) for Cocchi (and stockpiling Marie Brizard white cacao when its availability was dicey) just to put a Twentieth Century on the menu.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.