• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spherification on a molecular level

heirloom

hello,

i have a great interest in molecular gastronomy and have performed numerous experiements, similar to a lot posted on here. regarding sferification i was wondering if anyone knew exactly how the reactions work on a molecular level. i have done a great deal of research but am still yet to find molecularly how sferification works. thank you for your help and once i get a camera i will start posting pics :)

I think this link may provide a brief, not overly technical, explanation.

I think the first time I checked that link to project alicia gave a more technical approach, but essentially is what skidude72 said, the algin solution sequester Ca2+ ions. I believe it donates something for the CaCl bath as well since the clean solution start to get dirty overtime :laugh:

The formula for sudium alginate is NaC6H7O6, maybe someone can figure out the reaction

NaC6H7O6(aq) + CaCl2(aq) -> ? :hmmm: