• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic Diners of Providence and RI

Chris Amirault

The NY Times finally recognized what all here in the biggest little have known for years: RI's diners are classics deserving special note, and our culture of small, locally owned restaurants is still second to none. An excerpt from the article:

Because of Rhode Island’s diner heritage, as well as its large working-class population, an estimated 75 to 80 diners and lunch counters still dot the tiny state. A dozen of them are in the “rail car” style, where customers get two choices of seating: if the line of booths along the windows is full, they can plop themselves on a stool at the counter.

For those obsessed with the history and design of diners, Providence — with a handful of them in and around the city — and its neighbors are a dream destination.

I spent a bit of time at the Modern Diner (click) and the Johnson and Wales Culinary Museum (clack) in my foodblog, and we eat at Jigggers, Seaplane, or Modern Diner regularly. (Jiggers has the best pancakes in the state, and Modern Diner the best egg dishes, imo). In fact, I think that we need to make a stop this morning....

gallery_19804_437_47518.jpg

Any other fans of RI diners?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Chris-

There is a defunct diner on Newport Ave in E. Providence--"the Star Dinner", teal and silver retro....do you know any of its hisotry? It looks like it is in reasonably good shape from the outside, but in the 3+ years I've lived in the area it jas never been open...

KV

(I love the Modern Diner..as long as you get there before the lines start forming :biggrin: )

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

I've seen that diner, Karen, and wondered the same thing.

Does anyone remember the Silver Top Diner?

Chris: I not only remember -- and actually patronized -- the Silver Top, I remember the Modern Diner at its old location in downtown Pawtucket, where it sat for many years before being rescued. the Silver Top was known for either blueberry muffins or blueberry pancakes -- or maybe both??

Nicky Demou, the proprietor of the Modern Diner, was featured in a documentary called Classic Diners of the Blackstone Valley that the Food Network ran a few years ago. You'd probably like it; it may be possible to get a copy.