• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Virgin Island Pale Ale

Rich Pawlak

Maybe is was the hammock, the sea breezes, and the view from our rented house high in the hills east of Christiansted, but I enjoyed a most unusal and oddly enticing beer here on the isalnd of St Croix , USVI. Picked up a sixer of local Virgin Island Pale Ale, contract brewded by Shipyard Brewing in Portland, ME, but every bit a unique island brew. Good hoppy notes right up front, but the aroma was not of citrus, nor of bitter herbs, but of.....MANGOES!

Yes, the beer is tinged with more than a hint of mangoes, and it works! In fact, it ROCKS. I am no fan of fruit-tinged beers, but somehow this beer has a fantastic flavor and earthy sweetness that I thoroughly enjoyed. A sixer is making its way stateside in two weeks.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 4 months later...

Oh no!! You were in St. Croix and only had the bottled VI Pale?? Yes, the mangoes are a neat island twist, but you should have gone to the brewery in downtown Christianstead, where they actually make the beers and have several different varieties. It's right on the harbor with a great atmosphere and fantastic bartenders. The VI Pale Ale that you had is actually from a brewery on St. Thomas, I think, because the Pale that is made on St. Croix is Blackbeard Ale. It's good, but the same place brews a honey wheat that is out of this world. Sadly, or perhaps it's better this way, but the only one they bottle and ship is the Blackbeard Ale. I can't wait for my regular trip down, between the fishing (you can reach out and touch tarpon on the boardwalk in front of the bar!!!) and the beer, St. Croix is a great place. Hope you enjoyed your time there.

"Something about being in florida takes the edge off

laziness seduces you, invites you to take your shoes off and put your feet up, and whispers in your ear that nothing really matters

everybody else is having fun, playing golf, boating, lounging in the sun

it's hard to feel urgency about anything"

-Lee Irby

Yes, the beer is tinged with more than a hint of mangoes, and it works!  In fact, it ROCKS.  I am no fan of fruit-tinged beders, but somehow this beer has a fantastic flavor and earthy sweetness that I thoroughly enjoyed.  A sixer is making its way stateside in two weeks.

Someone was able to purchase it in Providence, RI: brewing at my place one night, someone brought it along. I like it, but couldn't exactly place the fruit until reading the bottle.

As far as the American fruit-infused beers go, I do like it much more than Magic Hat #9. Then again, I'd almost always take a glass of cidre bouche over either of them.