• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marrow spoons

Bill Miller

These things are hard to find!! I have 4 and need 4 more. Saw some on eBay for $38 each and a used set of 7 stainless for $75. Anybody know where i can find some. My 4 are silver plated but am willing to mix.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Kent, they don't look quite like small spoons. They look more like very small, very narrow, but very long shovels.

I believe "scoop" is the preferred technical term for this item, as in "marrow scoops."

You'll find quite a few antique marrow scoops on eBay and from other places. Usually they're silver or silver-plate, but sometimes they're made from pewter or other materials. If you want to match your current scoops exactly, you can try Replacements, but be prepared to pay.

They also make new marrow scoops. For example, there are some reproductions available, but they're not exactly cheap. I think there may be cheaper stainless ones out there, but I'm not sure what source to use -- you'd probably want to find a restaurant that uses this utensil and ask about a supplier.

The other option is to go with something that isn't specifically a marrow scoop but works just as well. For example,

these stainless seafood picks have scoops on one end that are almost the same as marrow scoops -- and they're really inexpensive.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)