• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dominique Bouchet

Christopher Haatuft

DB is a good, but not an excellent restaurant. The cuisine is well prepared, but not that imaginative. I thought the service was nothing to write home about either. It was certainly a place to be seen, and so more attention to style than substance at present. With this chef's impeccable credentials, I expected a whole lot more. I would not rush to this destination, no matter what the buzz. Just my 2 bobs.

Edited by getxo (log)

Unfortunate that it has to be Patricia Wells who wrote the article. The financial aspects of her career have been tied up so directly with Joel Robuchon (also with DB and Guichard at Jamin with whom she also shares credits under the Robuchon umbrella), that if the same were true of an NYTimes food reviewer who wrote these sorts of pieces, they would be expected to resign in a flat second, or face questions.

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Unfortunate that it has to be Patricia Wells who wrote the article. The financial aspects of her career have been tied up so directly with Joel Robuchon (also with DB and Guichard at Jamin with whom she also shares credits under the Robuchon umbrella), that if the same were true of an NYTimes food reviewer who wrote these sorts of pieces, they would be expected to resign in a flat second, or face questions.

Well that put a dent in it...But I guess the food speaks for itself even if she is biased?

How about places in the same pricerange?

My views are here.  I've been four times since he opened, once stunningly seated at the "bar" 2 feet from db and I think it holds up very well.

Great review, mr Talbott! At least I now have one definate choice for my trip this christmas holiday.

Edited by Christopher Haatuft (log)

I recently ate there, and spent two hours after my lunch drinking with M. Bouchet himself. He really is happy to be out of the Michelin rat-race, and has even sent registered letters to all of the top guides telling them he doesn't want his establishment mentionned. He recently had the Michelin inspectors who said "Dominique, you making it difficult for us, are you a bistro or a gastro", and he told them to get lost! I had a great time, and he really knows what his strong points are, and doesn(t care about the critics...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 2 weeks later...

here are some comments from a friend( I pretty trust in when it comes to restaurants) who had diner there on tuesday :

awfull, expensive, total (bad) joke, with quite an impressive “NO-winelist”, the food is inconsistant, presenting no interest :

-crab meat tartare ( from a can ?), with tomatoes not even well crushed;

-”soupe de châtaigne et lait de coco truffé” (sweet chestnut soup with cocomilk and truffle) : still looking for the truffle.

- grilled big sardine , citrus fruits juice : the sardine was over cooked, its “skin” not even crunchy

- “aiguillette de poulet sur un risotto” (chicken & risotto) : totaly Un-memorable

-Pana cotta with its strawberry sauce: it’s not even the strawberry season.

- Wines :White Menetou Salon les Renardières 2002 : ok

Red Menetou Salon les Renardières 2003 : sulfurated to the bone !

And the whole thing at 80euros/menu (without wines) .

Never again !

Let Eat Be

Food, Wine & other Delights

My views are here.  I've been four times since he opened, once stunningly seated at the "bar" 2 feet from db and I think it holds up very well.

This has become one of my favorite restaurants in Paris. The food can vary from very good to wonderful. The wine list is interesting and correctly priced.

My only caveat would be to try not to be seated at a table in the middle of the restaurant.

However = GO. Bouchet is finally doing what he loves best and it's not overseeing a palace hotel kitchen and playing politics.

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have any recent news on Dominique Bouchet?  We are considering it for next month.  Thanks.

I have never gone wrong there but another eG member who rarely posts, was disappointed last time. But let's let folks speak for themselves.

He's opening(ed) a new place too, nearby to serve lighter sushi/type stuff I think.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris