• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On the road to Lynchburg

johnb102

Foti's, in downtown Culpeper, is worth a stop based on a recent experience. The lamb dish-- lamb shank and an excellent lamb sausage was perfect for a cold winter evening. The chef/owner is originally from North Dakota--not exactly a hotbed of culinary arts--but he spent time in the kitchen at the Inn at Little Washington and he appears to know what he is doing.

In fact, there are a lot of places worth hitting in Culpeper, apparently. Here is a Washington Post piece about the town, and the accompanying sidebar, with hours, addresses and numbers. A nice Calhoun ham would be a good souvenir. If you're like me, and prefer the 4-lanes to the interstate, Culpeper is right there for you on Route 29 (which should be a pretty quick drive this time of year).

Might also try Apartment 2G if you're sticking to the Interstate Rout (it's just off I-66, about 10 miles from I-81, at the entrance to Shenandoah National Park).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I will be driving from Philadelphia, past DC, and then on to Lynchburg.  Are there any good/interesting places I should stop to eat at on my way?

All depends on your timing. Between DC and Madison, VA there is nothing of note except for Pete's Park 'n Eat Pizza and Subs. But just because it's quaint and it isn't Sheetz (count 'em on your way to Lynchburg). Maybe stop and browse through the tie dye store. Calhoun's is great, bring a cooler and pick some ham up. Warn your Lynchburg people that it's not country ham, but just ham - they are not to make ham biscuits out of it. Damn good ham. Foti's is uneven according to people I trust. You can get a decent lunch at It's About Thyme in Culpeper. I love the Pig 'n Steak. Is it equal to the best of NC 'cue? No but it's good and I love the atmosphere of the place and the name. As soon as you see the signs for Prince Michel's vineyard watch out for the speed traps. After, consider a side trip to Horton and/or Barboursville vineyards for a taste of some of the best of VA wine. Barboursville has a restaurant, but I've never eaten there. At Norton, make sure to see if you can get a resonably recent vintage of their Viognier. I have an unhealthy obsession with Bavarian Chef, the next port of note just north of Charlottesville. They may be the only Germans south of the Mason-Dixon line. Solid food, good beer. It's only an hour (64 miles) between C'ville and Lynchburg, but there is absolutely nothing in between. Nothing. Nada. Other than Poplar Grove golf course in Amherst. So eat at some place in C'ville if you're hungry. Speaking of Amherst, the speed traps on 29 used to fill their entire city budget, but now that the speed limit has been raised to 60 and 65 on that part of 29, it's not that big a deal, but keep close to the limit and wave to my buddies as you drive by.

Lynchburg has exactly one restaurant worth eating at -- Grace, on Old Forest Road -- but they are holding weird hours recently and close during the summer (hopefully they won't close for good, because they own the house free and clear and live on the second floor). Magnolia is marginally acceptable and the local "Establishment" resto. If someone tries to entice you with the Main Street Eatery, feign seasickness, go home and have someone make ham biscuits.

If anyone from a reputable household offers you ham biscuits, eat them. Same with fried chicken, but only if you see a giant cast iron skillet on the stove, a big can of shortening next to it, and a hired cook at the stove. Otherwise, do what most of Lynchburg does and load up on booze and cheese at cocktail hour, bring a drink with you to the table, and pretend you like dinner or be drunk enough to not care.

Edit to say - Magnolia? What was I thinking. I meant Meriweather's.

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely be stopping at Culpeper, probably while traveling each way.

It is funny you mention Main Street Cafe because I also need to organize a business dinner in Lynchburg for 10-15 people. My contacts in Lynchburg suggested Bull Branch, Main Street Eatery, Meriweather's, or Crown Sterling (I rejected any chains which eliminated most of the suggestions). We will have some government employees who need separate checks and are on a per diem, so I will probably eliminate Crown Sterling due to price, and Main Street Eatery due to the comment above.

Anybody know anything about Bull Branch or Meriweather's? I did look at Gayle but they are only open for special events now. This group will all be driving from the DC area and arriving the night of the dinner, so it needs to be somewhere less formal where people can arrive at a slightly staggered pace.

Thanks for the tips.  I will definitely be stopping at Culpeper,  probably while traveling each way. 

It is funny you mention Main Street Cafe because I also need to organize a business dinner in Lynchburg for 10-15 people.  My contacts in Lynchburg suggested Bull Branch, Main Street Eatery, Meriweather's, or Crown Sterling (I rejected any chains which eliminated most of the suggestions).  We will have some government employees who need separate checks and are on a per diem, so I will probably eliminate Crown Sterling due to price, and Main Street Eatery due to the comment above. 

Anybody know anything about Bull Branch or Meriweather's?  I did look at Gayle but they are only open for special events now.  This group will all be driving from the DC area and arriving the night of the dinner, so it needs to be somewhere less formal where people can arrive at a slightly staggered pace.

Bull Branch and Crown Sterling I don't know. I'll have to ask the local gentry about those.

Meriweather's has a sizable bar area and a small-medium-big plate menu that lends itself well to your needs. It's 10 minutes outside of downtown up Rivermont Ave. It'll easily be the best place in town for the big gathering. It fits within the fed gov't per diem.

Main Street Eatery also has the drawback that 10-15 people would be quite cramped there.

PS- note the edit in the above post, I meant Meriweather's, not Magnolia. Magnolia is a little gourmet shop next to the school formerly known as Randolph-Macon Woman's College that is a good lunch option and actually has somewhat interesting wine for sale.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W