• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carving a deboned bird?

TAPrice

I've finally gotten to the point where my carved birds don't look like props from a horror film. Last night, however, we cooked a deboned chicken stuffed with shrimp dressing. Staring down this chicken, with no bones as a guide, I just wasn't sure where to start cutting.

Any advice on how to take one of these things apart?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

If you're going to take the time to debone the bird, go all the way and take the wings as well. Stuff, roll and tie the thing like a roast. This is how I do my Thanksgiving Turkeys now. It's a lot of work at the beginning, but having a nice roll at the end with virtually no waste is worth it. Looks great too.

If you're going to take the time to debone the bird, go all the way and take the wings as well.  Stuff, roll and tie the thing like a roast.  This is how I do my Thanksgiving Turkeys now.  It's a lot of work at the beginning, but having a nice roll at the end with virtually no waste is worth it.  Looks great too.

No work or effort here. I just drove out to Cajun country and bought the bird already deboned, stuffed and frozen. :biggrin:

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)