• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine and Sports

Rebel Rose

I was curious today to see the following article: Hole in one? Cheers. Golf fans drink most wine: study

NEW YORK, Feb 8 (Reuters Life!) - Fans of women's golf are the biggest wine drinkers among sports fans in the United States, according to figures released on Thursday.

A study by market researcher Nielsen found wine consumption among U.S. sports fans increased to $81.40 in 2006, which was up $14.60 from 2005 which was in line with increasing consumption of wine in the United States.

But results also indicated that this increase in wine spending was slightly stronger among avid fans and certain fan bases among 12 different groups.

Households with at least one fan of the Ladies Professional Golf Association spent almost $125 on wine in 2006, which was up 17 percent over the year -- overtaking fans of men's golf.

Tennis fans came in second with wine consumption in households with at least one tennis fan rising nearly 20 percent in 2006 to $111.9 a household.

Fans of the PGA came in third, down from leading the pack in 2005, spending nearly 30 percent more on wine last year at $109.40 a household.

But the biggest gain in 2006 was among NFL Football fans who spent over 63 percent more on wine over the year at $94.30 per household.

Well, I would say the figures are "up" by only one bottle but a year, but . . . :cool:

I recently did a lifestyle survey of our winery clientele:

Do you participate in a sport or physcial activity in your spare time?

Golf is the most popular choice of activity at 34%, gym activities 18%, and swimming 13%. Martial arts and yoga are more popular than kayaking, tennis, team sports and surfing, but all the categories had responses ranging from 3% to 12%. Clearly our email list leads an active lifestyle

How does wine fit into your active lifestyle?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook