• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day and Wine

Rebel Rose

What are you planning to serve on Valentine's Day?

A deep, silky red with a dry-aged, cheesecake-textured steak? Champagne and caviar? Vin santo with a strawberry in the glass?

If you play chess, try daring your romantic partner to a game of Queen's Choice. Basically, the concept is that you place "bets" on small pieces of paper, with the weight of each favor corresponding to the power of the piece. With each captured piece, you capture a favor. You may look, you may covet, but you may not collect unless you win the game.

But if you capture your opponent's Queen she may demand her choice of a favor from you whether or not she wins the game . . . and she may collect immediately. Which do you desire more? To win the game by capturing the Queen, enslaved to her desires . . . or will you risk all to win the game and all your captured pleasures? What are you willing to wager on each of your pieces?

What is your Queen worth? If you are not uncomfortable with her capture, then you have not wagered highly enough.

Or, you could try playing Twister with scented massage oil, but I'd recommend a sparkling Moscato for that . . .

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

This morning the San Francisco Chronicle has a long piece on chocolate and wine, including recipes and general pairing advice: A Bittersweet Affair

Interesting, there are several points of view--yes to port, no to port, yes to red wine, no to red, yes with sparkling . . . no one suggest ditching the chocolate, though!

There is also a Chronicle Podcast:

Valentine's Day is right around the corner. Time to buy that chocolate, that bottle of red wine. Just don't mix the two, says W. Blake Gray in his weekly podcast.

Red wine and chocolate: It don't work, folks.

All right, but it's Valentine's Day, you say. You want the red wine. You want the chocolate, too. OK, says Mr. Gray, if you absolutely gotta have both, then get a bottle of pink bubbly.

He recommends the non-vintage Louis Bouillot Perle d'Aurore Cremant de Bourgogne Rose. It's this week's Wine of the Week, and it's only 12 bucks.

Thanks to Jon Bonne for sending me a heads up last night! :wink:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

A little after the fact but here's a recap of this year's Valentine's Day dinner (I plan, shop, cook and clean; We both chow down heartily) ...

Aperitif: Rotari "Arte Italiano" Brut NV ... Refreshing

Peruvian Seafood Ceviche (Wine: Stuck with the sparkler)

Cauliflower Soup with Seared Sea Scallop, Leeks and a Lemon-Infused Oil Garnish (Wine: Vionta Albarino 2005 ... Picked up the citrus)

Pate Assortment with Garlic Toasts and Baby Mustard Greens (Wine: E. Guigal Cote-Rotie "Brune et Blonde" 1997 (decanted 1 hour in advance))

Pan-Seared Lamb Chops, Red Cabbage, Corn Fitters and Mashed Parsnip (Wine: Stayed with the Cote-Rotie ... Great Match!)

Port-Poached Bosc Pear with Port Reduction Syrup (Wine: Fonseca Vintage Port 1985 ... not a good match, should have skipped the wine at this point)

Assorted Walnuts, Almonds and Chocolate (Wine: Stuck with the port ... Wonderful stuff with this)

The pours were probably way too generous :blink: but a good time was had by all! :rolleyes: