• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help ! Constructing a dish

chefadamg

Hello all. Looking for a few ideas and flavor combinations for a menu item. I'd like to combine sea urchin and a wonderful product I get down here in Florida, pork jowl bacon. Basically a "bacon and eggs" type dish.

I'll braise the piece of bacon for 3-4 hours creating a silky texture, yet still retaining the fat. break it down to 2x2" slices (ot maybe smaller)

the dish so far is a piece of the bacon...seared crispy on 1 side..topped with a generous "pile" of sea urchin. I need a few counterpoints to the dish. Any ideas?

Cracked Szechwan peppercorns? You know, b/c you always put cracked pepper on your bacon and eggs...I was thinking of that with the bacon, don't know how it'd be with the raw egg element.

I always like a tiny bit of sweetness with my smoked pork and eggs, maybe a drop of ketjap manis on top? Or sambal badjak, oelek even?

mem