• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

traveling to China.

Dim Sim

I concur. The Guangzhou pricing is quite different from most of other cities in China. Shanghai too for that matter. Beijing is probably catching up. Many Hong Kong merchants set up shops in those cities trying to catch the dollars from fellow Hong Kongers and foreign businesspeople.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 3 weeks later...

I am new on eGullet, but my wife and I lived in Shanghai for 2 years and now visit 3-4 times per year to keep our "personal project" up to date.

If anyone needs any tips on where to eat in Shanghai, please post a specific question - or even better - you can explore my website at Shanghai Eats (and Drinks...). We created it because when we moved there in 2004, nothing like it existed - so we created the site to help us familiarize ourselves with the city.

I post new places as soon as I find out about them and write reviews after I (or one of my associates still living there) tries each place out. So if you are headed to Shanghai, I hope to be able to help you get acclaimated with what is available.

-Mark

Shanghai-Eats (and Drinks...)

Edited by Shanghai Eats (and Drinks...) (log)