• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2004 Vesevo Beneventano Aglianico

Brad Ballinger

2004 Vesevo Beneventano Aglianico, Campania IGT. 100% aglianico. Fermented in stainless steel. Aged in barrique for six months. Vesevo is an ancient spelling of Vesuvius. When I vacationed in Ravello for one week in 2000, I puchased a couple of Beneventano Aglianico wines (don't recall the producer) at the supermarket for about $1.50 (U.S.) each. My wife and I were renting a villa, cooking many meals in, and I needed serviceable "pasta wine." Last night, I was in a pizza mood and wanted "pizza wine." I paid ten times more than $1.50 for it, but it was worth more. Nose of bright, bright brambly fruits, including the brambles. In the mouth, an initial burst of freshly picked blackberries, giving way to some earthy elements, dusty tannins, and a small (bearable) bit of oak. Had a bit of a rustic edge that was not displeasing, and put it firmly in the "pizza wine" category for me. I'd have it with pizza again.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero