• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Solo Dining in Chicago - I'm coming late Spring.

Jason_Y

Later in the year I'm going to be coming from Vancouver BC to visit some family in the area. I'm going out solo for some nights dining....

If you were me, would you choose Moto or Charlie Trotter's for an incredible dining experience?

Wow, that's a tough one. They're both very, very good, and very creative. So are other, similar places in town, notably Alinea, Tru, Schwa, Everest, and Avenues. Alinea and Trotter's have the highest name recognition and Schwa is the newest, not that either of those factors matters. You will have a wonderful dining experience at any of these seven places. Drawing distinctions among them is difficult.

I would suggest trying to hit Everest over the others, for several reasons. I think their service is a cut above the others, which may be especially beneficial for solo dining (as noted in this other topic). The view from their location at the top of the Chicago Stock Exchange building is magnificent. And, while price is not a factor when dining at this level, Everest is the least expensive of this very expensive group; the others range from very expensive to outrageous.

You mentioned "some nights". Of course, you could try more than one place. As another option, there are many other places here where the food is exceptionally outstanding, but without either the ultimate creativity or the ultra-high prices of the places noted above. One such place is One Sixty Blue, a couple miles west of the Loop. It offers a very hip atmosphere, but is more casual than the first group (jackets and ties not required, for example). And you'll pay one third to one half the prices of the bigger name places.

Just to suggest one other option - if you've never had Chicago-style pizza here, it's worth doing. No, it's not fine dining, but sometimes you need a break from that. Our pizza is unique to our city, and delicious too. There are two popular styles unique to Chicago: stuffed, double-crust pizza (e.g. Giordano's), and deep-dish, single (thick) crust pan pizza (Lou Malnati's, Gino's East). These chains have locations throughout the city and suburbs.

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest checking out their websites for each of these places, particularly their menus, to get a better feel for what they offer:

Moto www.motorestaurant.com

Charlie Trotter's www.charlietrotters.com/restaurant

Alinea www.alinearestaurant.com

Tru www.trurestaurant.com

Schwa www.schwarestaurant.com

Everest www.everestrestaurant.com

Avenues chicago.peninsula.com/pch/dining_02.html

One Sixty Blue www.onesixtyblue.com

Giordano's www.giordanos.com

Lou Malnati's www.loumalnatis.com

Gino's East www.ginoseast.com

Good luck, and report back to us on where you went and how you liked it!

P.S. I enjoyed eating at Bishop's some years ago. Is it still great?

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Not being you makes it a bit harder to gauge your preferences and what would be particularly exciting for you. All of the restaurants mentioned above are great and have their unique elements. If you really enjoy hypermodern cuisine then between the two restaurants you mentioned I would choose Moto. It also has the advantage of novlety that may be particularly useful for a solo diner. If you are more "traditional" than Trotter's would probably be the better choice.

My favorite restaurant in the country is Alinea. A good friend (a wpman) dined there solo last year and absolutely loved it. My opinion is that the servie at Alinea is second to none.She was treated very well.

Schwa is great, but a disadvantage for a solo diner is no wine program. Obviously that is less of an issue if that doesn't make any difference to you. With a few or more people it is more practical to bring wine, making that potentially an advantage of the restaurant.

Another option to consider as a solo diner is sitting at the kitchen bar at Avenues. The additional entertainment factor compliments the excellent food.

Chicago is a wonderful food town. Enjoy!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Another option to consider as a solo diner is sitting at the kitchen bar at Avenues. The additional entertainment factor compliments the excellent food.

I think that's the best idea so far. Either that or Alinea. I don't think the food at CT's is engaging enough to make solo dining there worth it.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

I ate at Alinea recently. I was not alone, but the person dining next to me was. He appeared to have a great time and was treated very well. I had the 28 course "tour", and it was truly one of the best meals I've had, and certainly the most eye-opening and inspiring. My wife and I went with another couple, and we were amazed and thrilled by every course. Just make sure you set aside some time. We were there for almost 5 hours.

Wow!

To everyone that replied...Thank you so much!

Now I know why my cousins are so friendly and helpful...they're just like everyone else in the area!

The reason I didn't bring up Alinea was that I am determined to dine there regardless.

I was just looking for some experiences that were comparable food, wine, service, and experience wise. Your postings have definately given me much to think about.

Reasons behind me mentioning Trotter's was because I had read "Lessons in Service" late last year and was really impressed with the stories I had heard from there.

Reasons behind me mentioning Moto was because there is nothing remotely close to dining at such an experimental level here in Vancouver. The market here is young and growing, but I wouldn't condsider it ready for such a dramatic entry.

Please feel free to continue any posts about anything you think I should try and i look forward to posting my experiences here after I have them!

***Having never tried authentic Chicago-style pizza...I am salivating about it already.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Jason

***Having never tried authentic Chicago-style pizza...I am salivating about it already.

Temper your expectations :raz:

I just say that because I can't stand the pizza here. Others love it. To each their own.

LOL! I have to (mostly) agree with Josh. If it were me, the one place for I'd hit for traditional, "Chicago-style" deep dish pizza would be Lou Malnati's.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Later in the year I'm going to be coming from Vancouver BC to visit some family in the area. I'm going out solo for some nights dining....

If you were me, would you choose Moto or Charlie Trotter's for an incredible dining experience?

Depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I had a better time at Moto in terms of overall experience and food (although the service at CT's is the most stellar to date). The novel dishes and constant interaction at Moto will keep you occupied the whole evening - it's like watching a circus or magic show. Nevertheless, I'm sure an equally great time can be had at CT's if you are like me and enjoy a quiet evening alone observing others and the service - which, at CT's, is nothing short of a well-choreographed ballet.

Wherever you go - we expect a report!! Have fun and eat your heart out! :raz:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I can only speak for trotters...since I havent eaten at the others (would love to, but not for the price)....hense trotters was a rare treat.

Its was magnificant...delish, great service, so many dishes each so unique...

Desert was just as good as the pre-desert courses. It was all fabulous!

Please please please report back and let us know, eh'?

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!