• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Palmiers - PrePrep

LoveToEatATL

Making Ina Garten's Sundried Tomato Palmiers for a party on Sunday. Can I fill the puff pastry, roll it and then wrap it in seran wrap to slice and bake on Sunday?

This would really be a time saver.

Thanks!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

I would think the only problem would be how long puff pastry can last after it has been thawed without going bad. I would think overnight would certainly be okay. Making them today for Sunday, if you were that pressed for time, would probably be okay, too. As long as you kept the rolled dough well chilled.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I would think the only problem would be how long puff pastry can last after it has been thawed without going bad. I would think overnight would certainly be okay. Making them today for Sunday, if you were that pressed for time, would probably be okay, too. As long as you kept the rolled dough well chilled.

Do you think I should put the roll into the freezer after I assemble it?

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

The one reference on Google I found when I was searching for the shelf life of thawed puff pastry said that you could refreeze it if you originally thawed it in the fridge, but that the final product wouldn't be as good.

So, I'm not sure. If it were me, I'd just wrap it well, and stash it as far down in your fridge as possible until you're ready to cut and bake.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I was taught that laminated doughs, which of course includes puff, lose layers the longer it hangs around. So, the longer it sits in the refrigerator, the more likely it is that the layers will melt into one another and the pastry will lose flakiness. That said, about 6 months ago I had some leftover puff from another project that I wrapped and stuck in the fridge and forgot about. I had meant to vacuum seal it and freeze it, but I lost track of it. When I came across it about 3 days later I felt that it was past it's prime so I used it to make some sweet palmiers. They weren't the lightest, flakiest palmiers I have ever made, but no one who ate them complained.

I would think that you could, however, freeze the shaped palmiers, then bake them in a very hot oven directly from the freezer. I've never done this, so I'm just speculating, but knowing the nature of laminated doughs I would think this would be a direction to research.