• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Ciabatta Adventures

Bill/SFNM

Abra, I think it’s the steam inside the loaf that causes the shine.

In my experience there is a close relationship between shiny holes in the crumb and really good oven spring. Usually I get this when a loaf has small amounts of yeast (or a sourdough or other long fermented starter), is proofed less than the maximum and the dough is relatively weak. I find it more often with sourdoughs and other starters, especially with very wet doughs when the steam from the bottom of the loaf blows big cavities.

Interestingly, the holes in the crumb when it’s shiny seem to be from the base and close to the crust. I guess this is where the steam created during baking causes the greatest pressure.

Does anyone else get shiny walls to the holes in the crumb sometimes but not every time?