• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Q&A with Paul Liebrandt

docsconz

Paul, some questions for you and observations about Gilt.should it simply rely on baseline "deliciousness".

Also, you came from the MPW/Gagnaire old school in which there was no Methocel, Activa, Gellan Gum, Pacojets and other fancy gadgets, though you are clearly a visionary who continues to push on, how important is it to you to counsel young cooks to be solid in the basics before trying to be a Paul Liebrandt or a Wylie dufrese ?

despite using these newer techniques, I do not base my cuisine around them,ask anyone who has worked for a good time in my kitchen and they will tell you that i am finatical about learning the basics first this wis my underlinying philosophy

I've always felt that Chef Liebrandt was being kind of pigeonholed as a "Mad Scientist" because of his use of a few of the newer products.

Just looking at the dishes say ( to me) that this is being cooked by some one who knows how to cook.

Even back in the ArtCulinaire 'Rillettes' article from the ATLAS days , I felt that his food reflected more of his French background in cooking, especially Gagnaire, with of touch of all of these great things that were ( and are) going on in Italy and of course, Spain.

Personally, I'll be estatic when Gellan gums and Tapioca Maltodextrin are as normal to have in a kitchen as salt and pepper...

OK, maybe Harissa and Siracha and wasabi.

thank you,- i like harissa very much

This is sort of a repost, leaving out some art as food and GILT question's I feel you've already answered.

Chef , is there any chance that that FTV footage robert40 spoke of (South Beach Cook Off, I think?) might turn up on your website?

It would be great to see it.

He spoke of it highly when it ran.

Also, on your website ( one of the better ones, I think) in the timeline you show books or movies and lps that were influencing your life and your work maybe?

Anything hitting you hard that way these days?

Thanks!

edited to add:

Have you read the Marco Pierre White autobiography, 'White Slave' by yet?

Thoughts?

I do not think i could put the ftv stuff up, copyright?

there is going to be be a new longer video going up next of the service at gilt, shot by some friends,Ihave read white slave- Its good!

film wise-the last king of Scotland-Forest Whittiker is amazing

RE: The FTV footage: Thought maybe they wouldn't be so uptight if you just wanted to use some snippets of your appearance.

There would be a big FTV thingie in the corner, right?

Awwww, just thinking...

Can't wait to see the service footage.

Any music?

It's been awhile since the last NIN lp.

beside you in time-january 2007

Thanks for the Answer Paul.

Mentorship is one of the important aspects of cooking today and I applaud you as regards "sir snack".

I would like to wish you good luck in your next project but luck hasnt a whole lot to do with it, preparedness does..... as does flexibility.......so I wish you inexpensive roadblocks..... :smile:

There are always roadblocks.

Looking for restaurant space I am finding out is worse than buying a car, even with excellent credit.

Cheers

thanks come by sb for a drink sometime,I am not there for long.

Edited by veda (log)

Unfortunately Paul has other commitments to attend to. I would like to thank Paul and all those who visited and especially those who participated in this "live chat". This topic will remain open for further discussion and we hope to see paul's continued participation both on this topic and others on the egullet Forums.

Paul, best wishes on your newest endeavor and beyond!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

First off, thanks M. Liebrandt for answering questions. As an up and coming cook it's always nice to be able to converse with others who have come up before me.

Now, as cooks get more and more creative with flavour profiles, and dishes get more complex with multiple elements on each plate, how do you handle wine pairings? Do you create each dish with a wine (or other bevereage) in mind, or do you create a dish and then pair a wine to it?

And also, I'm very curious. What were the logistics involved in a restaurant such as yours at Gilt or at Pierre Gagnaire's restaurant?

Edited by Mikeb19 (log)

[food I feel is an extention of ones self-in the case of a chef,for me it should be fun and engading, what I do is not for everyone but that is a risk I will take-to live life one must take risks

Thanks also go to Richard Kilgore, Dave Scantland (Dave the Cook), Sam Kinsey (slkinsey) and Ron Kaplan (ronnie_sunurban) for helping me organize this.

Paul has told me that he will be back to this thread to get to some more questions and continue discussion.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the Answer Paul.

Mentorship is one of the important aspects of cooking today and I applaud you as regards "sir snack".

I would like to wish you good luck in your next project but luck hasnt a whole lot to do with it, preparedness does..... as does flexibility.......so I wish you inexpensive roadblocks..... :smile:

There are always roadblocks.

Looking for restaurant space I am finding out is worse than buying a car, even with excellent credit.

Cheers

I've always felt that Chef Liebrandt was being kind of pigeonholed as a "Mad Scientist" because of his use of a few of the newer products.

I actually wasnt suggesting the mad scientist characterization, in fact the food at gilt was pretty transparent regardng the use of moder structural ingredients. It was more of a question of a growing trend in the cooking youth.

I'm sorry, didn't mean to infer in anyway that you were.

More of a blowing off some steam at some of the press.

Apologies for the misunderstanding!

2317/5000

This eG Spotlight Q&A has now come to a close. Thanks to Paul Liebrandt and all the members who have contributed to an interesting discussion. And thanks to the team of John Sconzo (docsconz) and Sam Kinsey (slkinsey), the team responsible for hosting this Q&A.

There are many aspects of the art and craft of cuisine, the business of fine dining and Paul's new venture that can be continued in related topics in the eG Forums.