• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whoops...

Daniel

Last night we were drinking Sauvignon Blanc, Goldwater.. A glass into our second bottle, we stopped drinking.. We left the bottle in the freezer over night. This morning the bottle was frozen but, not broken.. I tossed it in the fridge..

Q: Is it still drinkable.. Or do I need to drink another bottle before not caring..

Is this bottle skunked?

Edited by Daniel (log)

Last night we were drinking Sauvignon Blanc, Goldwater.. A glass into our second bottle, we stopped drinking.. We left the bottle in the freezer over night. This morning the bottle was frozen but, not broken.. I tossed it in the fridge..

Q: Is it still drinkable.. Or do I need to drink another bottle before not caring..

Is this bottle skunked?

It should be fine as it was probably well cold-stabilized. Drink up as soon as you can.

Is this bottle skunked?

Daniel- it seems that you are thinking of beer, not wine. And even at that you are refering to a myth; wine does not have the isomerized hop oils that lead to 'skunking', a phenomenon caused by ultraviolet light. Let not your heart be troubled and do as Craig suggested.

For more beer info get thee to the Beer forum, or just read this article by Lew Bryson.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I think my problem with Egullet is that I dont read alot.. :biggrin:

I dont need to read an article if its going to tell me beer doesnt taste like crap if its skunked.. It has not stopped me under extreme situation...If, you tell me it doesnt happen to wine, I believe you..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel, I don't drink much white wine (two glasses and I have a nasty and instant headache), so when we have it, I often have some leftover in the bottle, and regularly freeze it to use in cooking, and it has always tasted just fine when thawed.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I think my problem with Egullet is that I dont read alot.. :biggrin:

I dont need to read an article if its going to tell me beer doesnt taste like crap if its skunked.. Hasn't stopped me under extreme situations, but it wasnt my first chocie.. Bu,t if you tell me that doesnt happen to wine, I believe you..

(Aargh...you're making it tough, Daniel...)Without getting too far OT...

Your beer will taste (and smell) like crap if it is 'skunked' but the belief that refrigerating and then 'un-refrigerating' beer will lead to skunking is the myth. I assume you applied that myth to your wine when you originally posted. The term is most definitely beer-specific (and probably incorrectly overused) which is why I pointed out the article.

Whether or not freezing a wine will affect it is certainly an interesting question, but I just thought I'd put that second part to bed.

---

ETA: apologies if the attitude above comes across as a bit snippy, which is how it looks to me now in the light of day. That was certainly not my intent, just passing along some info.

Edited by TongoRad (log)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Some wines, they make from frozen grapes.

A friend of mine received a gift of ice wine, which... she prompty put in the freezer. I tried not to scream or think about how much it cost (she likes the sweet stuff so it was an easy gift) but when it was finally thawed and opened, it tasted just fine. In fact, I imagine it was better off than if it had spent a few months in the cupboard over the stove!

Edited by Walter Moar (log)

Snow,

How do you freeze it? In the glass bottle or in plastique..

I don't know how Susan does it, but I freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays, and then put the frozen cubes into plastic freezer bags. I do this with red and white wines. When a recipe calls for a certain amount of wine, I put ine th number of cubes that amount to the volume called for.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero