• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anywhere new (last six months) for lunch/dinner?

kretch

In town for two weeks. Anywhere new since early spring that shouldn't be missed? Lunch in particular; think I have dinners under control. Thanks!

Tom

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

This might not quite fit your "new" window, but lunch at Amada is not to be missed.

And while we're thinking Spanish, Apamate has gotten good reports, although I haven't made it there yet.

Apamate (16th & South) IS good -- they've got sandwiches, salads, pintxos, croquettes, churros y chocolate, etc.

Nineteen at the Park Hyatt Bellevue is also open for lunch. Spectacular room and views. I've only eaten in the lounge (good lobster salad club sandwich) but I hear good things about the food in the main dining room.

If you're interested in weekend lunches, there's Cantina el Caballito in South Philly. Awesome margaritas and decent food (others on eGullet loved it, I thought it was okay).

If you're interested in weekend lunches, there's Cantina el Caballito in South Philly. Awesome margaritas and decent food (others on eGullet loved it, I thought it was okay).

You may want to give the Cantina another try. I was there over the weekend and I noticed that the food had improved noticeably from my last visit, maybe 2 months ago. I liked it then, too. Make sure you get the empanadas.

Ansill (3rd and Bainbridge) is also new, open for lunch on the weekends, and IMO is better than Amada in every way. Cheaper, too, though I have read on the Amada thread that they do a very reasonable lunch special there. I've only been for dinner.

Edited by Buckethead (log)

This might not quite fit your "new" window, but lunch at Amada is not to be missed.

And while we're thinking Spanish, Apamate has gotten good reports, although I haven't made it there yet.

Apamate (16th & South) IS good -- they've got sandwiches, salads, pintxos, croquettes, churros y chocolate, etc.

apamate is currently pulling one of, if not the, best espresso shot in town. fantastic.

Kretch, if you come into Amada (we serve lunch 11:30AM-2:30PM Mon-Fri), look for me behind the bar and introduce yourself.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol