• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2004 Bonny Doon DEWN Pazzo Chardonnay

djsexyb

2004 Bonny Doon DEWN Pazzo Chardonnay

This wine has been fermented with the skins on with Chard grapes from the Santa Cruz Appelation. 14.2% al.

This wine was pleasantly surprising! I tend to stray away from cheaper (although this was roughly $26/btl.) California chard for the lack of distinction, but this offered nothing of the sort.

Very clear golden color, fading to light honey on the rim. The nose was very nice, and quite complex. i found carmel apple and honeycomb, followed by grapefruit peel, yeast, and a pleasant floral/jasmine scent. There seems to be a banana peel element here too, but i may be wrong. Randal Grahmn says on the website that these floral and caramel notes are due to the fermentation with skins. Spicy american oak in the end.

The fruit was pleasant on the tongue, normal chard here with a nice hint of that carmel apple and quince comes in the rear, as with many of BD's Santa Cruz grown whites, followed with the spiced oak again. Very good balance, though lacking a little acidity for my taste, but worked well with Herb Roasted Game Hen, braised red cabbage, and parmasean polenta.

This chard needed food to be fully enjoyed. the finish was moderate.

All in all, this is better than ALOT of american chard you could buy for the money, though it is still a different breed as compared with french chards. and the limited availability is a little disheartening. this is a DEWN wine that should be put on the everyyear menu.

An american Chardonnay with an Italian twist...I approve.

Edited by djsexyb (log)

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com