• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Izakaya Ariyoshi

Daniel

Yeah Ariyoshi is one of the best izakaya in NYC, maybe only Riki and a couple others are better in the collection of leftovers from the 80s bubble economy..... For some reason the Sunnyside branch is even better than Manhattan. They do a lot of izakaya standbyes reliably well, I'd highly recommend it...

I'm not sure if Ariyoshi is one of the best izakayas in NYC, but they are pretty decent. The Ariyoshi in Queens and the one on 53rd St have nothing to do with one another. The one in Queens is just a general Japanese restaurant serving dumbed-down Japanese food, while the one on 53rd is more of a watering hole with food. The Ariyoshi on 53rd changed ownership about a year ago, which has something to do with how inconsistent they've been, but it seems to be better than it was during the transition. Many of the signature items from a few years ago aren't as good or even on the menu. I don't think these guys were around from the 80s.

Also, the aozora site is badly in need of an update. The info is pretty outdated.

I'm not sure if Ariyoshi is one of the best izakayas in NYC, but they are pretty decent.  The Ariyoshi in Queens and the one on 53rd St have nothing to do with one another.  The one in Queens is just a general Japanese restaurant serving dumbed-down Japanese food, while the one on 53rd is more of a watering hole with food.  The Ariyoshi on 53rd changed ownership about a year ago, which has something to do with how inconsistent they've been, but it seems to be better than it was during the transition.  Many of the signature items from a few years ago aren't as good or even on the menu.  I don't think these guys were around from the 80s. 

Also, the aozora site is badly in need of an update.  The info is pretty outdated.

OK I have to apologize for relaying old info; it was certainly one of the better ones, but I haven't been there in more than a year, so that explains that, but And the Queens one was really good when I last went 5 years ago....

Anpanman....Which izakaya's do you like? Riki? Donburiya?

Edited by raji (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Ariyoshi used to be me my lunch haven. Ever since the chef left, it has not been as good, altough I've not been there recently. Their menchikatsu, which is like a breaded deep fried hamburger, with curry, was excellent but is quite different now.

Last time I checked, they were open late, catering to the mizushobai staff, who get off around 2am-3am, since Tatany-52 had to move.

When we lived on 48th St. (briefly, thankfully), we used to frequent Tatany 52 and liked it a lot...didn't know it moved, but noticed a branch at 72nd St. Are there any other locations, and if so, are they as good as the original?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?