• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blueberry U-pick

I thought I'd start a thread separate from the strawberries' thread so as not to have this lost in the middle of it.

I have not seen any place in Richmond to pick blueberries. Sure, there are lots of pre-picked ones but I like harvesting blueberries myself. I have been in Delta to pick raspberries but prefer not to go that far. If worse comes to worse, I will buy them from No. 5 Road or something. My concern is which farms spray heavily.

Does anyone know, firstly, if there is a blueberry U-pick farm in Richmond, especially one that does not spray their berries? Secondly, I am willing to venture no further than Delta if there is a farm that has "decent" berries that aren't sprayed. Thirdly, is there any place in Vancouver that sells fresh organic blueberries at an affordable price? I plan to store a lot of blueberries in the freezer and want enough to last till the next season.

Thanks for your help.

My friend just went blueberry picking on No. 6 Rd. last week. She said that there was one place open (sprayed) for U-pick, but the blueberries were pretty small and there wasn't much to pick. In the past, we've always gone blueberry picking in Richmond around late August, so I think it might still be early.

I also asked about non-spray farmers and she recalls that there are two of them on No. 6 Rd. One wasn't open for U-pick yet, and the other only had blueberries for sale.

Also, remember that you don't necessarily have to go to the places that advertise U-pick. Sometimes the farmers are happy to have somebody picking their bushes, considering the labour shortages. It doesn't hurt to pull into the driveway and ask.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Maxmillan, I'd appreciate it if you could keep us updated on what you've found in Richmond. We won't be heading out to pick blueberries for a few weeks yet, but it would be nice to keep a tab on things.

Thanks.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 11 months later...

Found an organic (practice) farm in Richmond 7040 No. 5 Road (and Granville) in Richmond. They charge a lot if you're picking only a small amount and less if you pick more (over $2 per pound.) They are opened on the weekend but will let you pick on the weekdays if you call and confirm. I found it on this site:

http://www.pickyourown.org/canadabc.htm

From talking to the person, it's not the same place I picked last year but I'm sure there is another farm next door that is also organic which I will have to check out tomorrow.

I picked about 8 pounds of organic blueberries today in Richmond. There was a warm breeze which helped. It took me three hours because a lot of berries were not ripe. There were, however, a few areas where there were an abundance of blueberres.

The fellow who runs this farm is Cambodian, a very friendly guy who fed me homemade Cambodian noodle soup because I was hungry. On my way home I bought more blueberries from the Nat Bailey Farmer's Market. Beckman's blueberries were a little sweeter and a little more pricier but worth it because it's not sprayed.

I would say blueberries will be in abundance from this weekend on at the U-pick.

I had another taste of the blueberries which were cold from the fridge. The Beckman's (Farmer's Market) blueberries were bland compared to the Richmond U-pick. Beckman's blueberries were much larger and softer in texture, not something I like. I'm sure it's because it's too early because last year they were delicious.

The Richmond blueberries were slightly tart and smaller but had more flavor.

My family usually buy the cheaper sprayed berries and, unfortunately, they are tastier.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of going to Westham Island to pick blueberries. Maybe Bissett Farm? Does anyone have experience going there? They also have Westham Island Winery there and some other farms I think. Not organic, but integrated pest management.

Also, what are people charging for U-Pick? $2/lb?

I wonder how long it will take me to pick $20 worth of blueberries?!!

I was thinking of going to Westham Island to pick blueberries. Maybe Bissett Farm? Does anyone have experience going there?  They also have Westham Island Winery there and some other farms I think. Not organic, but integrated pest management.

Also, what are people charging for U-Pick? $2/lb?

I wonder how long it will take me to pick $20 worth of blueberries?!!

Judging from what I picked last time, it may take you three hours.