• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ultimate BYO finder

A few anonymous wine lovers have created a wonderful online database of BYOs within 30 miles of Center City. They called more than 11,000 restaurants and found 650 BYOs. The database allows seaching by cuisine, location, etc.

It's accessible through BYOPhilly.

I wrote about it in today's Inquirer, but it's buried in the Business section: Inquirer story

Edited by michaelklein (log)

I wrote about it in today's Inquirer, but it's buried in the Business section: Inquirer story

... and the logic for such placement hopefully being more than "a restaurant is a business."

I do have one bone to pick with the site. The listing of Restaurant Review websites does not include HollyEats.Com even though every Philadelphia dining establishment listed on HollyEats is BYO.

That said, it's a great site requiring a lot of work to put together.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Thanks Michael! I doubt any of us would have noticed that without the heads up.

The site is quite thorough and I like that you can sort by distance, cuisine, payment options, etc. Really nicely done!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A few anonymous wine lovers have created a wonderful online database of BYOs within 30 miles of Center City. They called more than 11,000 restaurants and found 650 BYOs. The database allows seaching by cuisine, location, etc.

It's accessible through BYOPhilly.

It is a shame they did not put it where it belongs in the Thur food section :angry:

Anyway I took a quick look and thought maybe one of the experts here could answer a question. I noticed Amada (presumable more, but they are an A so I saw them first) have a policy that calls for PLCB reciept. What is up with this? Why do they care?

The reason I ask is because I live in NJ and would not be likely to have a PLCB reciept ever. If I assume the isue is tax related and put that aside, it still raises the problem about older wines in your cellar.

If I bring my own to a place like that it is likely I am bringing something from my cellar and not bought yesterday. Most of what I drink today were purchased years ago and I doubt I could easily find any reciept. So what gives with this rule?

I understand the other side of the coin must be related to cheap wines and avoiding tax or such. But I would think the $15 corkage prevents people from slipping a bottle of Blue Nun in from DE in to save taxes.

This is really a great reference. Kudos to those responsible, lots of hard work. Now if I can figure out how to get this into my palm pilot!

This might make an excellent link from the PLCB website, but then some crazed MADD member will be accusing The Chairman of encouraging consumption! LOL!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Michael, Thanks for posting your article on the board. I don't get the Inky and thus would never have known.

It is a nice site and I found out that some of the places near me that do have a license still allow BYO, like La Stalla and the Brick Hotel.

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei