• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yann

Diann

Reading the Table Talk item on Mantra today made me think... whatever happened to Yann? I haven't been living under a rock -- I know it's been gone for a while, but does anyone know why it closed? I always thought they did decent business and I really loved their croissants, desserts, and lunches. I liked the place a lot better than Miel, actually.

Is that why it closed? (Proximity to the more famous Miel/Robert Bennett and a resulting inability to compete?)

Also, does anyone know where Yann Machard went? I'd love to track him down. Hopefully he's still making pastries :wub:

i had the best lobster salad ever there one time.  i still remember it.  served in a hollowed out round brioche the size of a softball.  mmmm

anyway, googling yann machard turns up this site for symphony pastries which appears to sell pastries to the industry, not individuals.

Duh, I totally should have googled the man. Thanks James!

Maybe I could find an excuse to order a case of cakes (hey, it's only two 9" rounds per case) from Symphony Pastries. My birthday is coming up in July...

i had the best lobster salad ever there one time.  i still remember it.  served in a hollowed out round brioche the size of a softball.  mmmm

And I had the best lobster bisque ever there: all creamy and lobster-y and good. Probably from the same lobster you had. (And so the circle of life continues, Simba...)

Does anybody else remember Didier and Maribel Leroux? They used to have a fabulous pastry shop called "Mademoiselle de Paris" on 18th ST.

Mademoiselle de Paris preceeded Yann in the same location. Didn't Didier have a stroke or some other sort of catastrophic health crisis that forced them to shutter the shop? :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Does anybody else remember Didier and Maribel Leroux? They used to have a fabulous pastry shop called "Mademoiselle de Paris" on 18th ST.

Mademoiselle de Paris preceeded Yann in the same location. Didn't Didier have a stroke or some other sort of catastrophic health crisis that forced them to shutter the shop? :unsure:

I think so. I was wondering how they're doing. BTW, I think Neil Stein had a Fish Market restaurant there in between.

I think so. I was wondering how they're doing. BTW, I think Neil Stein had a Fish Market restaurant there in between.

Not in between. Originally. That was the location of the first restaurant in Neil's empire. The empire I used to work for, BTW. Back when it could still be considered an "empire". :sad:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Stein's Fishmarket resurrected for a minute and a half in its original location, in late 1999-early 2000, then quietly sank to the bottom of the sea. I lose track of the exact progression of tenants in that space, but Bob's right, there was a Fishmarket phase 2 in there...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Stein's Fishmarket resurrected for a minute and a half in its original location, in late 1999-early 2000, then quietly sank to the bottom of the sea.  I lose track of the exact progression of tenants in that space, but Bob's right, there was a Fishmarket phase 2 in there...

You're right. That second incarnation was such a blip on the radar screen (and such a money pit!) that I've obviously blocked it out like the traumatic memory that it is. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

You're also forgetting about the other blip during that space's existence, immediately after Fishmarket, version 2.

There was a nouveau soulfood-type restaurant there, can't recall the name though.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I beleive Didier suffered a brain tumor and they moved back to France. They were very nice folks who shopped in my store (Previn) frequently.

I beleive T Rodgers was the name of the soul food place.

That story seems to jive with what I recall, although I also remember that I heard a rumor that that was a cover story to disguise the real reason.

Spot on, T Rodgers was the name of the soul food place.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.