• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacherenc du Vic-Bilh

Fengyi

I've been having a bit of a 'mental blank' here and need some help!!!

There's a bottle of Chateau Montus Pacherenc du Vic-Bilh that needs to be paired at an upcoming dinner that I'm cooking..and I am having problems deciding what to do!

I noted that jrufusj (Jim J) suggested that foie-type dishes would go well, but I was really hoping to put it with fish as that would fit the menu better...

I've never had this wine and was wondering what fish dishes (or vegetarian for that matter) it would go with.

Any suggestions, please?!?!?!?

Thanks in advance for any help.

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

this is a really big huge round oaked wine

it would go with a buttery lobster, halibut maybe?

foie sounds good. definitely a roasted poultry.

even the sec has a significant amount of residual sugar

the regular is way too sweet to pair with savory food, i would pair it with cheese or dessert only.

They taste great with roasted chicken, rich seafood like lobster, scallops, and monkfish. The Foie Gras is perfectly paired with the sweeter versions.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

i believe in the "cooking of south west france" by paula wolfert, she makes mention of drinking this wine.you may want to scan thru it for some ideas.

Both dry & sweet exist, so:

If dry, Then fish, pasta, rissoto or the like or with a salad starter so long as the dressing isn't to astringent.

If sweet, then the fois gras or other strongly liver flavored pate would work well or serve it as an apperitif as the Fench might.

Do not under any circumstances serve this wine with cheese. Please!

Both dry & sweet exist, so:

If dry, Then fish, pasta, rissoto or the like or with a salad starter so long as the dressing isn't to astringent.

If sweet, then the fois gras or other strongly liver flavored pate would work well or serve it as an apperitif as the Fench might.

Do not under any circumstances serve this wine with cheese. Please!

i know at least 3 top-of-the-game manhattan sommeliers that pair it with cheese, especially something like pouligny st pierre. and its rediculously perfect. really.

have an open mind.

Thank you all very much for your opinions and helpful advice.

I should have added that Chateau Montus only does a sec version and that it's apparently made from 100% Petit Corbu (again which I've never tasted, so not the most useful fact in the world to me..... :rolleyes: ). I've got the 1998 so hopefully the oak will be well integrated by now.....

I think I may have to go with a rich fish dish as one of my guests is allergic to shellfish and I'm not up to preparing alternative-courses during an 8 course dinner in my tiny little kitchen! I'm also doing a game bird course to follow it - so I think chicken may be too much with that following.

Perhaps a roasted bit of monkfish with southern French herbs? with a tiny bit of risotto? Halibut is tough to get hold of here.... I shall see if I can scout about for the "cooking of SW France" book too!!!

Thank you all very very much!!!

PS Chefboy - I adore Juracons both dry and sweet with various cheeses so I think I may also like this with cheese as well - even if it's "beyond the pale".... :biggrin:

But then again, I'm just a barbarian who dislikes most red wines with cheeses as well....!

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

i know at least 3 top-of-the-game manhattan sommeliers that pair it with cheese, especially something like pouligny st pierre. and its rediculously perfect. really.

have an open mind.

I do, but I find it somewhat diffucult to pair a serious white wine with a serious cheese.

I and others I know have tried, repeatedly, with so so results at best. Still, I guess with a mild Pouligny something like a sauvigon blanc would be Ok.

Chacun a son gout; as they say.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all very much for your opinions and helpful advice.

I should have added that Chateau Montus only does a sec version and that it's apparently made from 100% Petit Corbu

there is a non sec version and the grape is petit manseng?

and its delish, i pour it in my restaurant every day.........

Well, whatever petit Corbu is supposed to taste like........it was sure lovely in the Ch Montus version!

I do believe that the P du V-Bs that are sweet may be made from Petit Mansang, but Ch. Montus does not produce any of these. I believe that the sweet version as described is made by the sister property Ch. Bouscasse.

The Montus was a luscious, but bone dry full-bodied white with great structure. The oak seemed fully integrated and the wine felt almost mildly tannic and firm. Fruit smells were beginning to ebb, but there was still a lush ripe orchard fruit smell and a ripe-sweetness on the palate -I wish we had another bottle!

In the end, we had it with a herb risotto served with grilled monkfish and (for some) scallop. The scallop in particular went beautifully. I think it would be fab with roast chicken as well. Lobster too -if I could afford it!

Interestingly, it was proceeded by a Vernay Condrieu (2002) which was a great contrast to the Montus -the MLF, oak-aging and the bottle age of the Montus made it such a different beastie!

Many thanks for the words of help (we did end up opening a sweet Juracon with the cheese after I was reminded how nice that can be by this forum!). All the comments were very much appreciated!

oh my bad, i confuse chateau montus and alain brumont all the time. these are definitely the most two important producers in the southwest..

but anyway, yes, you should definitely try brumont's doux version, its delish.