• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: 2004 Carlisle "Fava Ranch" Zinfandel

jelainemiller

This is a great wine. Deep garnet in color. Somewhat closed upon first opening, an hour later it's coming into its own. The aroma is all dark berries. On the palate: jammy fruit (but not too much), raspberry, just a touch of earth. Good acidity, low-medium tannins. Mellow, like a regular zin after it's had a few drinks. :-) Can cellar a few years (only a few) and still be ahead.

Cheers,

JEM

It's nice to see a California wine reviewed here.  It's been a while!  Jelaine, how did you come across Carlisle?  They're a fairly small producer, about 5000 cases per annum.

I heard about Carlisle wines through a friend who saw them on a trip out to Napa/Sonoma. My curiosity led me to www.carlislewines.com where I signed up for the mailing list.

I do love that so many wineries have jumped into the web/blog game. In this case, I probably would have put Carlisle on my list of wineries to visit on my next trip, then I'd lose the list, then I'd forget about them altogether. :shock:

The 'Fava Ranch' (only 237 cases produced) was the first sacrificed from my first shipment! Someone had to do it...

-Elaine

Cheers,

JEM