• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dunbar & 29th

mtigges

Jason - you take things way too seriously...the quick post is rather quite astonishing! - and Jason, my horizons are broad - but, I still will stick up for the little guy who hopes to eek out a living - Mexi Cali, a place where I've gone and felt good about spending my cash, however cheap, and enjoyed every hungover moment of it.

Edited by paul mitchell (log)

Jason - you take things way too seriously...the quick post is rather quite astonishing! - and Jason, my horizons are broad - but, I still will stick up for the little guy who hopes to eek out a living - Mexi Cali, a place where I've gone and felt good about spending my cash, however cheap, and enjoyed every hungover moment of it.

I agree on all points. Mexi Cali was good when on Arbutis before the building had a fire and is still very good now for what you pay.

officially left egullet....

Let's bring this back to Mexican!

I have a client in Marpole now and have had several tasty lunches at Casa del Amigo on Granville and 71st. It is mostly a take-out place, and their meunu is limited to tacos, enchiladas, burritos, etc., but it's tasty, has character and prices are good! They also sell a few mexican deli items and are celebrating Cinco de Mayo this Friday (May 5)!

Gastronomista

I have a client in Marpole now and have had several tasty lunches at Casa del Amigo on Granville and 71st.  It is mostly a take-out place, and their meunu is limited to tacos, enchiladas, burritos, etc., but it's tasty, has character and prices are good!  They also sell a few mexican deli items and are celebrating Cinco de Mayo this Friday (May 5)!

Hm, I'm of the "not so much" opinion. It is still $9-10 for an enchilada or burrito (can't remember exactly) and all you get is something wrapped in a tortilla, with some refried beans on the side. I understand that sometimes you crave Mexican, but given the state of Mexican in this city, when in the area (which is a lot) I would rather go spend $7 on a bowl of soup from Taiwan Been Noodle - or $6 for a panini from Koni - or $5 for BBQ pork or beef brisket on rice from Daimo.

I too would like to like Casa del Amigo, but can't. The food is universally prepared using ingredients for the Mexi-Casa line of foodstuffs from the Ethnic/Other isle at Safeway. Not Mexican so much as "Calgary housewife prepares her version of Mexican." And the deli section consists mostly of bottled hot sauces available at Save on Foods.

Actually, the thread on Mexican is over HERE.

This thread is about eating in the Dunbar & 29th area and trying to avoid bratty private school kids.

Apparently quoting Churchill also fits in. :blink: (perfect quote btw Paul)

A.