• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plaza Bistro--Sparta

Rosie

We got to Plaza Bistro, 2 White Deer Plaza, Sparta (BYO) by deciding to try a restaurant in a town we had never been to. Sparta also has a few other restaurants that I have never dined at: Arthur's St. Moritz, Krogh's and Il Porto. The room looks like a double storefront with clothed tables, some pictures on the wall and an open kitchen. Service was attentive.

When seated a lima bean paste and an amuse of ratatouille on a toasted slice of bread were brought to the table. There were two dishes which I would have tried, roasted butternut squash soup and braised lamb shank, but they seemed too heavy for a hot summer evening.

Lowell had an eggplant and chorizo sausage in puff pastry ($8) which was a disk of pastry, slice of eggplant, slice of mozzarella cheese and two discs of sausage. It was good but too small a portion for the price. My grilled Caesar salad was great and I loved the slightly charred flavor of the lettuce with finely diced roasted peppers, pine nuts and grana padana ($7). Chef Stephen Nolan has a great hand with sauces a special entrée consisting of sliced duck breast with sweet potato and carrot puree, black barley rice and a plum sauce was a winner ($21). The Vidalia onion sauce on my grilled hanger steak upgraded and added interest to this piece of meat that seems to be on so many menus. Along with a potato pancake and fresh vegetables this entrée would have been better if it wasn't served lukewarm ($19). Dessert was not what we expected. We ordered a walnut cake and expected a layer cake. It was a slice of cake without icing that looked like half of a layer cake. It contained some spices we didn't care for. It wasn't bad; it just wasn't our taste. The ice cream in a cookie shell and whipped cream were served with it and enjoyed. Lowell didn't care for his coffee. Dinner with tax and tip was $77. I would certainly try this place again. Phone: 973-726-9399.

Have you been anyplace interesting lately? Be sure to give us a report.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 year later...

We returned to Plaza Bistro, 2 White Deer Plaza, Sparta (BYO) last night and had a delightful dinner. Not much has changed since the last time we were here except the restaurant needs to be spruced up and perhaps redecorated and repainted. On a Saturday night Plaza Bistro unfortunately was less than half full. This is too bad as like Chef Stephen Nolan is very talented and if more people knew about this restaurant I am sure that business would be better.

The tables had tablecloths covered with paper. Service was very attentive. Our wines were opened and new glasses were brought to the table when we started a new bottle. Bread was paired with a bean spread, which I prefer to butter. The amuse was a "give me more" of chopped olives with a creamy sauce on slices of bread.

Lowell had an excellent roasted butternut squash soup with a spicy aftertaste that was decorated with crimini mushrooms. Other appetizers were a poached pear and Maytag Blue cheese salad with baby greens topped with crunchy pecans and dressed with a cranberry Dijon vinaigrette. I liked the salad and all the diverse flavors, loved the dressing, but not the spice laden pear. The other appetizer was a house cured salmon with sweet rice, avocado salsa and a mango chiptole glaze which was declared to be a winner.

I had a beautifully plated sautéed French cut chicken with sautéed spinach, portobello mushrooms, oven roasted tomatoes and a lemon risotto butter white wine sauce which I thoroughly enjoyed. Lowell had a special of wahoo with black rice and vegetables that was perfectly cooked. The other entrees were a pan seared duck breast with wheatberry rice, sweet potato and carrot puree in a demi glace and a jumbo lump crab cake over mashed potatoes with black bean and corn salsa. The dish was completed with a chipotle pepper drizzle. Everything I tasted I would be happy to order the next time that I am here. I particularly like Chef Stephen Nolan's sauces and combination of flavors on the plate. They are not overwhelming and have delicate nuances.

Dessert was disappointing although everyone thought the coffee was good. The walnut cake was heavy in spices and the accompanying ice cream was icy. I would recommend a better brand. A special of tira misu was fine. It's hard to ruin a tira misu but some are better than others. Prices here are very reasonable with entrees ranging from $18 to $25. Phone: 973-726-9399.

Did you go out this weekend? Be sure to give us a report.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

funny rosie -

all the people in sparta think this place and zoe's are WAYYYYYY overpriced. maybe why it was not filled. also the parking is horrendous.

next time you and lowell are up this way let me know....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Been to Zoe's quite a few times and they are packed on a Sat. night and the weekday that we were there.

Parking wasn't a problem at Plaza Bistro for us. We parked in the parking lot which has been recently paved behind the restaurant and near the country club.

BTW--Do you know anything about Spartina?

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 months later...

since i worked until 5pm and didn't feel like cooking once i got home we ate out at Plaza Bistro, Sparta. lukewarm bread with butter and a lima bean and rosemary spread. the amuse was chicken liver with onion confit. john thought it was ok. mescalun salad and the duck breast with port reduction, rice with wheatberries, pureed sweet potato and sweet potato chips for me; the salmon carpaccio with mustard cream sauce and watercress then a special of pasta with lumpcrabmeat, small white beans and pancetta in an olive oil and garlic broth.

unfortunately there was a large party with two small children who were very loud, running around the restaurant. :angry: there were also only two floor staff so service dragged by the time we were ready to have our plates cleared and get the check. by that time also from firing multiple duck entrees there was a bit of a haze and the smell of the duck in the restaurant. perhaps a new exhaust system is needed. :shock:

total was 60.42 plus tip. overall another good meal think it will be zoe's next time - another 40.00 or so since it isn't byo but...

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 years later...

took my dangerous dining companion, 'chelle, out for her birthday lunch at Plaza Bistro in Sparta. it has changed owners though the name is still the same and it is still byo.

the new owner is latvian and the lunch menu and the starters reflect that.

for lunch you can order off that menu or any of the soups. 'chelle ordered the stuffed cabbage with a side of pan roasted vegetables. i ordered the meatballs (stuffed into pasta) which are poached in vegetable broth then served in butter with sourcream and a side of rice pilaf that came formed into a small cake. i could only eat half and have the other half for my dinner tonight.

an amuse of a seafood puff came out. it was light, puffy and ethereal - and devoured. there was also a basket of warm bread. iwanted to order the borscht or the spicy lamb soup (both offered at 5.00) but knew how much food would be coming out for our lunch.

service is fairly relaxed as usually there is only the owner and one other kitchen worker in at noon.

total for two lunches with tax 18.02

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites