• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Found this.

ChefCrash

Its a bracket fungus, but not one of the few I recognise as edible and worthwhile.

Especially as you note that it has an unappetising texture ("cork"), I think its very likely one for the compost heap...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

also known as "saru no koshikake" (monkey's stool)" in Japanese.

how very enticing and appetizing ... :hmmm:

Maybe a homonym problem... "Koshikake" means stool as in falling between two stools.

But I'm sure the name is more appetizing than bahun uni (horse dung sea urchin). :biggrin:

It's a type of polypore. Very beautiful. Some times they are used for dyes. They usually grow on dead wood or roots and usually indicate rot of some sort, so I probably wouldn't be having any polka dances on your deck until you get the structure checked!