• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picnic in Provence

We are going to travel through Provence in May and will probably go to markets and find things to picnic with for lunch, but we also need a few supplies.

Do they sell coolers in a supermarket or do we need to go to another type of store?

I know it is a silly question, but here in Israel you can only buy a cooler at somewhere like Ace. In the States I have seen styrofoam coolers in supermarkets.

If you have any markets are other specialty shops to suggest for the makings of a nice romantic picnic in Avignon area and aroung Antibes, then please let me know.

f you have any markets are other specialty shops to suggest for the makings of a nice romantic picnic in Avignon area and aroung Antibes, then please let me know.

That's quite a wide area, but if you go to the Provence Beyond website there is a fairly extensive list of daily markets.

If by "cooler" you mean what I would call a coolbox then you may find one in one of the larger supermarkets, but we've never tried to buy one in France, so I'm not certain.

If you have any markets are other specialty shops to suggest for the makings of a nice romantic picnic in Avignon area and aroung Antibes, then please let me know.

In Avignon, apart from Les Halles market, I'd definitely go to Le Fruitier de Saint Agricol, which is at 27 rue Saint Agricol. It has good fruit and vegetables, but also delicious terrines and other things you'd normally find at a traiteur, and practical things too like small bottles of excellent quality olive oil. They also sell local wines. Here's our review.

In Antibes, make sure you treat yourself to freshly-made socca at the local market while you're shopping - it's the best we've had - and buy pissaladerie and tourte aux blettes from Jean-Paul Veziano's boulangerie, at 2 rue de la Pompe, which is in a side street just near the market. Look for the sign to Boulangerie Veziano.

I've never seen coolers in France, but you might try to find them; the French are very big on pique-nique, so it's a possibility. Try the giant Hypermarchés. which have almost anything, or also the stores called Bricolages may have something like it, they are something like a Home Depot. There is a huge Carrefour hypermarche just off the A8, exit 8. If you enter the highway near the airport, go east about 10 miles. This store has about 80 aisles, with employees on rollerblades.

On the Riviera, don't miss all the wonderful (and cheap) street food. Pan Bagnat, something like a Salade Nicoise on a great round bread, Pissaladiere, mentioned above, a pizza bread, with onions and olives instead of cheese and tomatoes, and Socca, an earthy fried chick-pea flour concoction that is wonderful.

We did a great pique-nique in the gardens of the Chagall Museum. Also, in a wonderful little park just before the village of Vallauris. Don't forget the wine!! :smile:

Swiss-

We frequently picnic when in the south and I applaud your desire to prepare in advance.

You can buy coolers, both styrofoam and more permanent materials, in any of the larger Hypermarchés. Castorama usually carries 'em too.

Much easier, you can buy in any major gorcery store chain (the Monoprix just down from the Place de L'Horloge in Avignon e.g.) what are called Sacs Isothermiques. These insulated bags work quite well for us when planning picnics. Some ice, refrigerated water and even frozen stuff stays cold for most of the day. I've been known to ask cafés and even hotels to keep them in cold storage for me. Works great, costs pennies and much less bulky to transport than a larger cooler. Perfect for a few bottles of Minuty or Cuvee Marine de chez Ott to take to the beach with some fresh fruit and cheeze.

Two suggestions for picnics in the Avignon area:

1) At Villeneuve lès Avignon there's a large park on the hill above town at the entrance to the ruins of the fortress. Great views of the Palais des Papes across the river and the winding path of the Rhone up towards Chateauneuf. The town itself is worth exploring and has one of the best--and oldest--cooperatives for making oil in Provence.

2) Take the National south of Avignon, meander through the suburban sprawl and head straight out to St. Remy de Provence. 20 minutes or so if not too much traffic. Go straight through St. Remy and follow the signs to the gallo-romain town of Glanum. Perched in the edge of the Alpilles, with the winding road leading up to Les Baux, you can picnic in a delightful spot. Right next to the Roman Arch, with the archeological site, the mountains and One of Van Gogh's painting spots as a vista. Great place for lunch. Drink a good Baux de Provence with it. Afterwards you can enjoy St. Remy and the De Sade house museum, which contrary to expectation houses not whips and chains but a fabulous collection of Roman objects.

Have fun and think of Petrarch.

Thanks for all of the help.

Menton, is the Carrefour hypermarche you are referring to near the Marseilles airport or Nice? We are flying into Marseilles.

As for planning, I am an ex-conference organizer and a Virgo. I enjoy planning trips. I sometimes drive my husband a little nuts with the planning. :rolleyes:

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Menton, is the Carrefour hypermarche you are referring to near the Marseilles airport or Nice? We are flying into Marseilles.

As for planning, I am an ex-conference organizer and a Virgo. I enjoy planning trips. I sometimes drive my husband a little nuts with the planning. :rolleyes:

Oh, sorry, I was referring to your stay in Antibes. Catch the A8 from the coast road by the Nice Airport and go 10 miles east to exit 8, there is a giant Carrefour market off that exit.

I had thought you mentioned you were staying in Antibes, non? That is much, much closer to Nice...

P.S. Check out a photo link I posted on another thread about the Marina Baie des Anges apartment complex, very unique architecture, in Villeneuve-Loubet, just west of Antibes.

Oh, sorry, I was referring to your stay in Antibes. Catch the A8 from the coast road by the Nice Airport and go 10 miles east to exit 8, there is a giant Carrefour market off that exit.

I had thought you mentioned you were staying in Antibes, non? That is much, much closer to Nice...

P.S. Check out a photo link I posted on another thread about the Marina Baie des Anges apartment complex, very unique architecture, in Villeneuve-Loubet, just west of Antibes.

Yes, we are staying at a villa in Antibes for most of the trip, but I have free tickets on El Al and they don't fly to Nice. We are staying in Avignon for two days and then will drive to Antibes. I found a Carrefour near the Marseilles airport.