• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modus - Heir to the Belgian Lion

Kouign Aman

NATHAN'S AT MICHELE COULON'S: NEW RESTAURANT COMING SOON

MODUS... is the name of our new location for dinner and it will be at 2202 4th Ave, in Bankers Hill. It is on the corner of 4th Ave. and Ivy St. We will carry on the tradition of the Belgian Lion

I miss The Belgian Lion, especially the confit de canard :wub: . I hadnt realized it had been somewhat re-incarnated. I'm terribly excited. Nathan is the grandson of the BL founder. Michele is his daughter. Current address: 7556 Fay Avenue, Suite D La Jolla, CA, 92037

Current menu for Nathan's at Michele Coulon's

Has anyone eaten there? Or at the old BL?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 2 months later...

After reading this review, I'm less excited, in that I want that Belgian Lion duck again. Still, sounds worth a visit.

Modus review by SD U-T June 21 '06

The reviewer scares me tho... is this statement for real? (italics mine)

Perfect French Fries....they live up to their moniker. The secret is starting with fresh potatoes instead of using frozen fries, as nearly everyone does now.

I am completely ignorant - is it typical for a restaurant charging $23-32 per entree to use frozen french fries? Can I register my shock if it is?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

you can register your shock, but it won't change the fact that sysco makes better fries than most restaurants can.

the whole process of blanching in lower temperature oil first and then frying at regular (375 degrees F) temperature to get the right kind of "crust" is just too much for most places to handle. even places that charge $23-32/entree. Their labor costs add up, you know!

the funny part is when you read a restaurant review and the critic raves about the french fries...when all the employees know they're basically the same as mcdonalds!

I am shocked. And surprised.

Is shock always negative? Perhaps "stunned" would be a better term, as in "I had no idea".

I figured at $30 entree and up, its mostly labor Im paying for. This site is so much fun, I learn so much.

• 5 months later...
I am happy. Kalypso went, and liked it.

See here

Modus Dec 2006 ,    post #68

My dining companion was HUGE fan of the Belgian Lion and has bemoaned the passing of that restaurant on a regular basis. She is the one that had the duck confit for her entree. She didn't say how similar it was to the old Belgian Lion dish. I did forget to mention that the duck confit dish at Modus comes with foie gras, so how could it be bad :wink:

The cooking at Modus is well executed and sensible. I'm already plotting a return visit.

• 4 months later...

And yet another happy camper:

Frog Princesse's report on Modus

I really have to get this on my to-do list.

The Tenor loves red cabbage, but the BL closed before we met. I hope that Modus has something up to that standard.

• 4 months later...

Who's the new chef?

(from another thread:)

Have you noticed any differences at MODUS since Nathan Coulon left as the chef?

I guess not - I had no idea he had left. When did we leave? I last ate there a month ago and it was as delicious as usual.

I think he left about 6-8 weeks ago. Heard a rumor he landed at 1500 Ocean at the Del, but don't quote me on that.