• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ocean Club

I read the Globe this a.m.

It was OK. A fun read.

It sort of reads like a "girls about town" adventure story, which is OK. I would expect this to be opposite Malcolm Parry's column than in the Globe.

I would like to see Alex Gill write the odd more serious piece. The fun stuff is OK but mix in something serious.

I know this sounds strange from the guy who says " it's just dinner, not the Last Supper" but there it is.

My $.02

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I know this sounds strange from the guy who says " it's just dinner, not the Last Supper" but there it is.

My $.02

Taste

Smell

My 02 sense(s) :raz:

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

FROM VITAMIN V TODAY TOO! (online newsletter)

Making Waves

Once you’ve scored the last set of Frette linens at Winners, found the perfect pair of sale jeans at Oliver Barrett, and stocked up on organic cheese twists at Whole Foods Market, where’s a girl to rest her weary shopping feet in West Van?

We suggest The Ocean Club restaurant and lounge, just opened beside Park Royal South.

With its oyster-coloured ultra-suede sofas nestled up to chic low-slung white granite tables, the room’s got an L.A. vibe (low furniture means better people watching). Servers wear chocolate brown mini dresses and proffer glam stemless water goblets and sleek chocolate brown linens.

The delicious prime rib burger ($14) came topped with braised short ribs and caramelized onions on a perfect little soft bun with a side of sweet potato fries.

And the wine list has a few well-chosen bargains, like Hugues Le Juste Viognier ($28).

A palm patio is being built for summer, and a long double-sided bar that runs the length of the room is certain to be the catalyst for some saucy spring flings.

Now how long will it take before it gets dubbed “The OC?”

The Ocean Club, 100 Park Royal, West Van, 604-926-2326.

GUESS THEY DIDN'T KNOW IT ALREADY WAS CALLED THE OC

FYI - Mia Stansby reviewed it in the Van Sun yesterday and said thumbs up.

I wouldn't have been as generous.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

Andrew - I am freelance so don't "represent" the Sun, but regardless I'll get to my views soon......

It goes something like this.......

On a Friday night what do the cool people do? Having removed myself from that category after my second round of braces, I made an attempt to jump back in last week with a trip out to West Vancouver to the new “hot spot” – the Ocean Club.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

Apologies. Still curious about the breadth of opinion as I've heard a lot of it, ranging from the very local to the industry-centric. On the whole, it's been pretty positive. Aside from a few of the desserts, the only dish that I consider in need of a rethink is their dress code.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine