• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1970 Mayacamas Zinfandel

jeffperez62

Wow! Now that is an eye opener! Read about it today in the NY Sun. I once tasted a Ridge Zin that dated back to the 80's and I thought that was stretching it.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Wow! Now that is an eye opener! Read about it today in the NY Sun. I once tasted a Ridge Zin that dated back to the 80's and I thought that was stretching it.

Sounds interesting. I have not had an old Zin for some time. I'm guessing it is old school style with the alcohols up there in the 15.5-16.5+% range. Yummy.

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Sounds interesting. I have not had an old Zin for some time. I'm guessing it is old school style with the alcohols up there in the 15.5-16.5+% range. Yummy.

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

I thought high alcohol wines were new school wines!?

:wink:

I recall waiting for ever (seemingly) for some Mayacaymus cabernets to "come around"

some were pretty good some were dried out and astringent by the time the tannins subsided.

I have had some interesting (good) zins that have had some age--I am not sure this varietal is as ageworthy in general as other grapes.

I believe that long ago California winemakers made wines that they thought would age over a long time as they followed their paradigm--Bordeaux.

I would love to try one of these Mayacaymus Zins out of curiosity.