• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rodizio 2?

Jeff L

do you tell the guy manning the grill you want the meat pink?  when I tell him the pinker the better, that is what he pulls off the grill for me.

No since every time I've gone there I get the all you can eat deal. I might rethink this approach in light of what you've just mentioned though.

There is a bit of a language barrier with some of the servers there. That is to say I speak zero Portugese and they speak little English. I suppose I might have a word with one of the guys that I remembered spoke English pretty well and tell him my preference and ask if it would be possible to get rarer meats.

I prefer medium, and always ask for the "outer" or "crust" portions, and am always happy with the cut... then again, I always walk up to the "counter" so I am not sure if the same process works for AYCE served table-side.

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Tomorrow's review of Fogo de Chao gives it 2 bells, same as Picanha as noted in the first post of this thread.

To quote LaBan "if authentically home-cooked flavors are their priority, adventure eaters will fare better at Picanha, a relatively modest diner-turned churrascaria that serves Northeast Philadelphia's growing Brazilian population. This casual BYO has plastic table covers, TV's playing Brazilian soap operas, taxidermy and trinkets for decor. But the meats coming off its charcoal fired grill recently were consistently superior in taste and tenderness to what I'd just eaten at Fogo de Chao".

Adventure eaters, sounds like he's talking to us. Let's see, 2 bells for Fogo and the cost of dinner without drinks is $44.50 plus parking could bring the tab to well over $60 per person. Contrast that with Picanha at $17 per person, free parking and BYO- any questions???

Adventure eaters, sounds like he's talking to us. Let's see, 2 bells for Fogo and the cost of dinner without drinks is $44.50 plus parking could bring the tab to well over $60 per person. Contrast that with Picanha at $17 per person, free parking and BYO- any questions???

I return from the West Coast on April 11. I'll get right to organizing a trip.

And I should have been thinking! My brother is a wine maven and lives in Woodinville, an eastern suburb of Seattle which is also where several of Washington State's best-known wineries are located -- he drove me past several on the way from Sea-Tac to his home.

In any event, we will probably have a very good wine from Washington to accompany our outing. I've arranged a swap with a Seattle eGulleteer: She will send me a very good Late Harvest Syrah from up this way, and I will send her a pound of Pennsylvania Noble Cheddar in exchange.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The 25th approaches. However, I think I will need to wait until after payday to arrange anything, for I really should take my partner out for his 63d birthday, which is today (Friday 4/20), and I can't do that either until the 25th at the earliest. (He will be easy to please. Sunday brunch at Woody's will be just fine.)

There's also been a delay on the part of my Washington State correspondent in getting her hands on the Late Harvest Syrah that was promised in exchange for a block of Pennsylvania Noble. What all this means is that quite likely, our next cow-out will have to wait until May, by which time I will want to be put into a coma so I can forget my tax bill.

• 1 month later...

bump

The aforementioned Late Harvest Syrah is in hand. The 25th is this Friday. Who's game for a "meat-up" this coming week?

Would this Saturday evening work? If not, how about a weeknight next week, any night but Wednesday?

Sounds like it's time for another visit, especially at that new low price!

I can bring wine this time, I swear!

OK Sandy I'll hold you to it! Let me know when - I'm ready for this one again.

So I've posted and PMed. What's up?

I can't get a bunch of meatheads together for a cow-out?

So I've posted and PMed.  What's up?

I can't get a bunch of meatheads together for a cow-out?

Saturday is out for me and I'm not too sure of the upcoming week as it is a short one.

Okay. I'll try to hold on to a few bucks -- the wine won't be going anywhere anytime soon -- and come back to this later in June. (The 16th is out; instead, why don't you all come hear me sing at the Kimmel?)

In the meantime, there's also a Pizza Club outing to revive.

Anyone interested in suggesting a date for a Picanha Grill meat-up is welcome to follow up this post, though.